Warren County, Tennessee
Warren County, Tennessee Facts
When was Warren County, TN Created?
Warren County was founded on November 26, 1807 from White County, Jackson County and Smith County. This county was named in honor of American Revolutionary War officer Joseph Warren (1741–1775), who sent Paul Revere on his famous midnight ride .
What is the County Seat of Warren County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in McMinnville also, the county government website is www.warrencountytn.gov/ .
What counties are adjacent to Warren County, TN?
Bordering counties are DeKalb County (north), White County (northeast), Van Buren County (east), Sequatchie County (southeast), Grundy County (south), Coffee County (southwest) and Cannon County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Warren County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Centertown, McMinnville, Morrison, Viola, Dibrell .
Warren County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Warren County Courthouse?
Warren County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Warren County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Warren County courthouse in 1852, Some early records were destroyed.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Warren County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 201 Locust St., Suite 2P, McMinnville, TN 37110
- Phone: (931) 473-2623
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Probate Records: 1827
- Warren County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 201 Locust Street, McMinnville, TN 37110
- Phone: (931) 473-2926
- Land & Deed Records: 1810
- Warren County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: P.O. Box 639, McMinnville, TN 37111-0639
- Phone: 931-473-2373
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1847
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1842
- County Court Minutes: 1848
- Warren County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 201 Locust Street Suite 5, McMinnville, TN 37110
- Phone: 931.473.3450
- Tax Records: 1805, 1812, 1836, 1838, 1876-1883, 1885, 1887-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Warren County Health Department, 1401 Sparta Street, McMinnville, TN 37110-1310; (931) 473-8468 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Warren County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Warren County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Warren County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Warren County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Warren County can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Warren Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Warren Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Warren Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Warren County, TN?
Warren County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Warren County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Warren County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Warren County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Warren County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Warren Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Warren Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Warren Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Warren Co. TN Census Records
Warren Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Warren Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Warren Co. TN General and History Websites
Warren Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Warren Co. TN Military Records