Rutherford County, Tennessee
- Government Website:
- Created Date / Origin:
- County Seat:
- Named After:
- Bordering Counties:
- Cities & towns include:
Rutherford County was founded on October 25, 1803 from Davidson County, Wilson County, Williamson County, and Sumner County. This county was named in honor of Griffin Rutherford, chairman of the legislature of the Southwest Territory.
What is the County Seat of Rutherford County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Murfreesboro also, the county government website is www.rutherfordcountytn.gov .
What counties are adjacent to Rutherford County, TN?
Bordering counties are Williamson County (north), Cannon County (east), Coffee County (southeast), Bedford County (south), Marshall County (southwest), Wilson County (west) and Davidson County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Rutherford County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Eagleville, La Vergne, Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Walterhill .
Rutherford County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Rutherford County Courthouse?
Rutherford County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Rutherford County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a tornado at the Rutherford County courthouse in 1832.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Rutherford County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 319 N. Maple St., Suite 121, Murfreesboro, TN 37130
- Phone: (615) 898-7800
- Marriage Records:1804
- Probate Records:1804
- Rutherford County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 319 North Maple Street, Room 133, Murfreesboro, TN 37133-5050
- Phone: (931) 898-7870
- Land & Deed Records:1804
- Rutherford County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: Room 201, Judicial Building 20 Public Square North, Murfreesboro, TN 37130
- Phone: 615-898-7820
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1845
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1849
- County Court Minutes: 1804
- Rutherford County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 319 N. Maple St. Suite 200, Murfreesboro TN
- Phone: (615) 898-7750
- Tax Records: 1809-1813, 1836, 1837, 1867, 1871, 1875, 1877-1881, 1883-1885, 1887-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Rutherford County Health Department, 100 West Burton, Murfreesboro, TN 37130-3657; (615) 898-7785 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Rutherford County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Rutherford County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Rutherford County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Rutherford County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Rutherford County can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Rutherford Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Rutherford Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Rutherford Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Rutherford County, TN?
- Rutherford County Archives, 435 Rice Street, Murfreesboro , TN 37130; Phone: (615) 867-4609
- Rutherford County Historical Society, PO Box 906, Murfreesboro, TN 37133 615-890-5200
- Linebaugh Public Library, Historical Research Room, 105 W. Vine Street, Murfreesboro, TN 37130 615-893-4131
- Middle Tennessee State University, James E. Walker Library, Box 13, Murfreesboro, TN 37132 615-904-8503
- Oaklands Historic House Museum, Oaklands Association, Inc., 900 North Maney Avenue, PO Box 432, Murfreesboro, TN 37133 615-893-0022
- Sam Davis Home, 1399 Sam Davis Road, Smyrna, TN 37167 615-459-2341
- Smyrna Public Library, 400 Enon Springs Road, Smyrna, TN 37167 615-459-4884
- Stones River National Battlefield, National Park Service, 3501 Old Nashville Highway, Murfreesboro, TN 37129 615-893-9501
Rutherford County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Rutherford County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Rutherford County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Rutherford County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Rutherford County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Rutherford Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Rutherford Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Rutherford Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Rutherford Co. TN Census Records
Rutherford Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Rutherford Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Rutherford Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Rutherford Co. TN General and History Websites
Rutherford Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Rutherford Co. TN Military Records
- Tennessee Military Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Civil War battles were fought in Rutherford County
- Tennessee Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Tennessee both women and men that served. Great for Rutherford County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.