Roane County, Tennessee
Roane County, Tennessee Facts
When was Roane County, TN Created?
Roane County was founded on November 6, 1801 from Knox County and Indian Lands. This county was named in honor of Governor of Tennessee Archibald Roane (1759 or 1760–1819).
What is the County Seat of Roane County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Kingston also, the county government website is www.roanegov.org/ .
What counties are adjacent to Roane County, TN?
Bordering counties are Morgan County (north), Anderson County (northeast), Loudon County (southeast), McMinn County (south), Meigs County (southwest), Rhea County (southwest) and Cumberland County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Roane County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Harriman, Kingston, Midtown, Oak Ridge, Oliver Springs, Rockwood, Ten Mile .
Roane County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Roane County Courthouse?
Roane County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Roane County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Roane County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P.O. Box 546, 200 E. Race St., Kingston, TN 37763
- Phone: (865) 376-5556
- Marriage Records: 1801
- Probate Records: 1802
- Roane County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 200 East Race Street, Suite 6, P.O. Box 181, Kingston, TN 37763
- Phone: (865) 376-4673
- Land & Deed Records: 1801
- Roane County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 200 East Race Street, Suite 11, Kingston, TN 37763
- Phone: 865-376-2390
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1824
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1810
- County Court Minutes: 1801
- Roane County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 200 E Race Street, Suite 5, Kingston TN 37763
- Phone: 865-376-4362
- Tax Records: 1805, 1837, 1858, 1859, 1878-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Roane County Health Department, 1362 North Gateway Avenue, Rockwood, TN 37854; (865) 354-1220 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Roane County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Roane County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Roane County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Roane County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Roane County can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Roane Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Roane Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Roane Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Roane County, TN?
- Roane County Archives, P.O. Box 738, Kingston , TN 37763; Phone: (865) 376-9211
- Roane County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 297, Kingston 37763-0297
- Roane County Heritage Commission, Kingston 37763-0297
- Oliver Springs Historical Society, P.O. Box 409, Oliver Springs, TN 37840; (865) 435-2980
- Harriman Public Library, 601 Walden Street, Harriman, TN 37748 865-882-3195
- Oliver Springs Public Library, (Oliver Springs Historical Society) 610 Walker Street, Oliver Springs, TN 37840 865-435-2509
- Rockwood Public Library, 117 North Front Street, Rockwood, TN 37854 865-354-1281
Roane County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Roane County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Roane County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Roane County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Roane County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Roane Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Roane Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Roane Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Roane Co. TN Census Records
Roane Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Roane Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Roane Co. TN General and History Websites
Roane Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Roane Co. TN Military Records