Monroe County, Tennessee
Genealogy and Facts
Monroe County, Tennessee genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Monroe Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Monroe County was founded on November 13, 1819 from lands formerly belonging to the Overhill Cherokees. This county was named in honor of U.S. President James Monroe (1758–1831).
The Monroe County Seat is located in Madisonville also, the county government website is www.monroegovernment.org .
Areas bordering to Monroe County are Loudon County (north), Blount County (northeast), Graham County, NC (east), Cherokee County, NC (southeast), Polk County (southwest) and McMinn County (west) .
Cities and towns located in Monroe County include Madisonville, Tellico Plains, Sweetwater, Vonore .
Monroe County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Monroe Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Monroe Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Monroe Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Monroe County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Monroe County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Monroe County Archives, 105 College Street, Madisonville , TN 37354; Phone: (615) 442-3981
- Madisonville Public Library, 884 Englewood Road Suite A, Madisonville, TN 37354 423-442-4085
- Sweetwater Public Library, 210 Mayes Avenue, Sweetwater, TN 37874 423-337-5274
- Vonore Historical Society, c/o Vonore Public Library, 611 Church Street, Vonore, TN 37885 423-884-6729
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Monroe County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Monroe County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Monroe County
- Monroe County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Monroe County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Monroe County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Monroe County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Monroe County.
Monroe County Courthouse and Government Records
Monroe County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Monroe County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There were fires at the Monroe County courthouse in the 1820s and 1960.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Monroe County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 103 College Street, Suite 1, Madisonville, TN 37354
- Phone: (423) 442-2220
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1836
- Monroe County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 103 College Street Suite 4, Madisonville, TN 37354
- Phone: (423) 442-2440
- Land & Deed Records: 1820
- Monroe County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 105 College Street, Suite 103, Madisonville, TN 37354
- Phone: 423-442-2396
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1832
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1827
- County Court Minutes: 1858
- Monroe County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 103 College Street, Suite 27, Madisonville, TN 37354
- Phone: (423) 442-3637
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Monroe County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Monroe County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Monroe County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Monroe Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Monroe Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Monroe Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Monroe Co. TN Census Records
Monroe Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Monroe Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Monroe Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Monroe Co. TN General and History Websites
Monroe Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Monroe Co. TN Military Records