McMinn County, Tennessee
Genealogy and Facts
McMinn County, Tennessee genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal McMinn Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
McMinn County was founded on November 13, 1819 from Cherokee lands. This county was named in honor of Governor of Tennessee Joseph McMinn (1758–1824).
The McMinn County Seat is located in Athens also, the county government website is mcminncountytn.gov .
Areas bordering to McMinn County are Roane County (north), Loudon County (northeast), Monroe County (east), Polk County (southeast), Bradley County (southwest) and Meigs County (west) .
Cities and towns located in McMinn County include Athens, Calhoun, Englewood, Etowah, Niota, Sweetwater .
McMinn County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
McMinn Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McMinn Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McMinn Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
McMinn County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of McMinn County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- McMinn County Archives, 6 East Madison Ave., Athens , TN 37303; Phone: (423) 745-7634
- E. G. Fisher Public Library, 1289 Ingleside Ave., Athens, TN 37303 423-745-7782
- McMinn County Living Heritage Museum, 522 West Madison Ave., PO Box 889, Athens, TN 37371 423-745-0329
- Tennessee Wesleyan College, Merner-Pfeiffer Library, PO Box 40, Athens, TN 37371 423-746-5249
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- McMinn County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- McMinn County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in McMinn County
- McMinn County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for McMinn County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About McMinn County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in McMinn County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the McMinn County.
McMinn County Courthouse and Government Records
McMinn County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in McMinn County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the McMinn County courthouse in 1964.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- McMinn County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 5 South Hill, Suite A, Athens, TN 37303
- Phone: 423-745-4440
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1819
- McMinn County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 1074, Athens, TN 37371-1074
- Phone: (423) 745-1232
- Land & Deed Records: 1820
- McMinn County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 6 East Madison Avenue, Room 211, Athens, TN 37303
- Phone: 423-745-1923
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1844
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1860
- County Court Minutes: 1819
- McMinn County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 6 East Madison Avenue, Courthouse, Athens, TN 37303
- Phone: (423) 745-2743
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
McMinn County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to McMinn County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular McMinn County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
McMinn Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
McMinn Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
McMinn Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
McMinn Co. TN Census Records
McMinn Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
McMinn Co. TN Church & Bible Records
McMinn Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
McMinn Co. TN General and History Websites
McMinn Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
McMinn Co. TN Military Records