McMinn County, Tennessee
McMinn County, Tennessee Facts
When was McMinn County, TN Created?
McMinn County was founded on November 13, 1819 from Cherokee lands. This county was named in honor of Governor of Tennessee Joseph McMinn (1758–1824).
What is the County Seat of McMinn County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Athens also, the county government website is mcminncountytn.gov .
What counties are adjacent to McMinn County, TN?
Bordering counties are Roane County (north), Loudon County (northeast), Monroe County (east), Polk County (southeast), Bradley County (southwest) and Meigs County (west) .
What cities and towns are in McMinn County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Athens, Calhoun, Englewood, Etowah, Niota, Sweetwater .
McMinn County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the McMinn County Courthouse?
McMinn County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in McMinn County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the McMinn County courthouse in 1964.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- McMinn County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 5 South Hill, Suite A, Athens, TN 37303
- Phone: 423-745-4440
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1819
- McMinn County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 1074, Athens, TN 37371-1074
- Phone: (423) 745-1232
- Land & Deed Records: 1820
- McMinn County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 6 East Madison Avenue, Room 211, Athens, TN 37303
- Phone: 423-745-1923
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1844
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1860
- County Court Minutes: 1819
- McMinn County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 6 East Madison Avenue, Courthouse, Athens, TN 37303
- Phone: (423) 745-2743
- Tax Records: 1829-1832, 1836, 1872, 1875-1890, 1892-1895, 1897-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- McMinn County Health Department, P.O. Box 665, 393 County Road 554, Athens, TN 37303-0665; (423) 745-7431 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find McMinn County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
McMinn County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for McMinn County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What McMinn County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for McMinn County can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
McMinn Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McMinn Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McMinn Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for McMinn County, TN?
- McMinn County Archives, 6 East Madison Ave., Athens , TN 37303; Phone: (423) 745-7634
- E. G. Fisher Public Library, 1289 Ingleside Ave., Athens, TN 37303 423-745-7782
- McMinn County Living Heritage Museum, 522 West Madison Ave., PO Box 889, Athens, TN 37371 423-745-0329
- Tennessee Wesleyan College, Merner-Pfeiffer Library, PO Box 40, Athens, TN 37371 423-746-5249
McMinn County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other McMinn County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in McMinn County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to McMinn County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular McMinn County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
McMinn Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
McMinn Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
McMinn Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
McMinn Co. TN Census Records
McMinn Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
McMinn Co. TN Church & Bible Records
McMinn Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
McMinn Co. TN General and History Websites
McMinn Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
McMinn Co. TN Military Records