Madison County, Tennessee
Madison County was founded on November 6, 1821 from Chickasaw Indians lands. This county was named in honor of U.S. President James Madison (1758–1836).
The Madison County Seat is located in Jackson also, the county government website is www.co.madison.tn.us .
Areas bordering to Madison County are Gibson County (north), Carroll County (northeast), Henderson County (east), Chester County (southeast), Hardeman County (south), Haywood County (west) and Crockett County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Madison County include Jackson, Medon, Three Way, Pinson (unincorporated) .
Madison County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Madison County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
Madison County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Madison Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Madison County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Madison County Archives, 1981 Hollywood Drive, Suite 300, Jackson, TN 38305; Phone: (731) 423-2723
- Casey Jones Home & Railroad Museum, 56 Casey Jones Lane, Jackson, TN 38305 731-668-1222
- Union University Archives, Emma Waters Summar Library, 1050 University Drive, Jackson, TN 38305 731-661-5070
- Tennessee Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Madison County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Madison County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Madison County
- Madison County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Madison County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Madison County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Madison County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Madison County.
Madison County Courthouse and Government Records
Madison County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Madison County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Madison County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: Room 105 Courthouse, 100 E. Main, Jackson, TN 38301
- Phone: 731-423-6022
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1825
- Madison County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 100 East Main Street, Room 109, Jackson, TN 38301
- Phone: (731) 423-6028
- Land & Deed Records: 1821
- Madison County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 515 S. Liberty Street, Suite 200, Jackson, TN 38301
- Phone: 731-423-6035
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1846
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1821
- County Court Minutes: 1821
- Madison County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 118 E. Baltimore, Suite 4, Jackson, TN 38301
- Phone: (731) 423-6063
- Tax Records: ? (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Madison County Health Department, 804 North Parkway, Jackson, TN 38305-3058; (731) 423-3020 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Madison County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Madison County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Madison County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Madison Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Madison Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Madison Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Madison Co. TN Census Records
Madison Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Madison Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Madison Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Madison Co. TN General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Tennessee
- Madison County Tennessee (genealogytrails.com)
- 1887 History of Madison County (tngenweb.org) Description, Settlement, County Government, City of Jackson,Other Communities, Courts, War, Schools, Churches Index of Names in Goodspeed Book - The Goodspeed Publishing Co., History of Tennessee, 1887
- Madison County History and Culture (tennesseeencyclopedia.net)
- Madison Co. Historical Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Madison County, Tennessee Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Madison County, Tennessee Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Madison Co. TN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Madison County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Madison County - American History and Genealogy Project (usgennet.org)
- Madison County, Tennessee (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Tennessee - Counties - Madison (cyndislist.com)
- Madison Co. TNGenweb (tngenweb.org)
- Madison County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Madison Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Madison Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Madison Co. TN Military Records