Loudon County, Tennessee
Loudon County, Tennessee Facts
When was Loudon County, TN Created?
Loudon County was founded on June 2, 1870 from Blount County, Monroe County, Roane County and McMinn County. This county was named in honor of Fort Loudoun, which was named for John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun, who led British and American forces during the French and Indian War.
What is the County Seat of Loudon County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Loudon also, the county government website is www.loudoncounty.com .
What counties are adjacent to Loudon County, TN?
Bordering counties are Knox County (northeast), Blount County (east), Monroe County (south), McMinn County (southwest) and Roane County (northeast) .
What cities and towns are in Loudon County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Greenback, Lenoir City, Loudon, Philadelphia .
Loudon County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Loudon County Courthouse?
Loudon County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Loudon County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Loudon County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 101 Mulberry St, Ste 200, Loudon, TN 37774
- Phone: 865-458-3314
- Marriage Records: 1870
- Probate Records: 1870
- Loudon County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O.Box 395, Loudon, TN 37774
- Phone: 865) 458-2605
- Land & Deed Records: 1870
- Loudon County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: P.O. Box 280, Loudon, TN 37774-0280
- Phone: 865-458-2042
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1870
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1870
- County Court Minutes: 1870
- Loudon County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 101 Mulberry Street, Suite 201, Loudon, Tennessee 37774
- Phone: 865-458-2059
- Tax Records: 1870, 1873-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Loudon County Health Department, P. O. Box 278, 600 Rayder Avenue, Loudon, TN 37774; (865) 458-2514 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Loudon County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Loudon County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Loudon County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Loudon County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Loudon County can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Loudon Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Loudon Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Loudon Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Loudon County, TN?
- East Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 1629, Knoxville 37901
- Loudon County Heritage Association, PO Box 466, Loudon, TN 37774
- Historical Society of Loudon County, 101 Foster Drive, Lenoir City, TN 37772; (865) 986-9815
Loudon County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Loudon County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Loudon County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Loudon County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Loudon County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Loudon Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Loudon Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Loudon Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Loudon Co. TN Census Records
Loudon Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Loudon Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Loudon Co. TN General and History Websites
Loudon Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Loudon Co. TN Military Records