Hamilton County, Tennessee
Hamilton County was founded on October 25, 1819 from Rhea County, Marion County, and Bledsoe County. This county was named in honor of First U.S. Secretary of the Treasury and Founding Father Alexander Hamilton (1755 or 1757–1804).
The Hamilton County Seat is located in Chattanooga also, the county government website is www.hamiltontn.gov .
Areas bordering to Hamilton County are Bledsoe County (north), Rhea County (northeast), Meigs County (northeast), Bradley County (east), Whitfield County, Georgia (southeast), Catoosa County, Georgia (south), Walker County, Georgia (south), Dade County, Georgia (southwest), Marion County (west) and Sequatchie County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Hamilton County include Apison, Bakewell, Birchwood, Chattanooga, Collegedale, East Brainerd, East Ridge, Fairmount, Falling Water, Harrison, Hixson, Lakesite, Lookout Mountain, Middle Valley, Ooltewah, Red Bank, Ridgeside, Signal Mountain, Soddy-Daisy, Walden .
Hamilton County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Hamilton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
Hamilton County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hamilton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hamilton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hamilton Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Hamilton County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hamilton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- East Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 1629, Knoxville 37901
- Hamilton County Records Center, 6233 Dayton Blvd., Chattanooga , TN 37343 ; Phone: (423) 209-8980
- Hamilton County Genealogical Society, 3949 Hixson Pike, Chattanooga, TN 37415
- Chattanooga-Hamilton County Bicentenniel Library, 1001 Broad St., Chattanooga, TN 37402; (423) 757-5317
- Baylor School Archives, Williams Island Ferry Road, PO Box 1337, Chattanooga, TN 37401 423-267-8505, ext. 209
- Chattanooga African American Heritage Museum, 200 E. Martin L. King Blvd., PO Box 11493, Chattanooga, TN 37403 423-266-8658
- Chattanooga Regional History Museum, 400 Chestnut Street, Chattanooga, TN 37402 423-265-3247
- Southern Adventist University, McKee Library, Industrial Drive, PO Box 629, Collegedale, TN 37315 423-238-2788
- Tennessee Temple University, Cierpke Memorial Library, 1815 Union Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37404 423-493-4250
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee (raogk.org)
- Tennessee Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hamilton County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Hamilton County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hamilton County
- Hamilton County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hamilton County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Hamilton County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Hamilton County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Hamilton County.
Hamilton County Courthouse and Government Records
Hamilton County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Hamilton County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Hamilton County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 625 Georgia Avenue, Room 101, Chattanooga, TN 37402
- Phone: (423) 209-7934
- Marriage Records: 1857
- Probate Records: 1862
- Hamilton County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 1639, Chattanooga, TN 37401
- Phone: (423) 209-6560
- Land & Deed Records: 1796
- Hamilton County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 625 Georgia Avenue, Room 500, Chattanooga, TN 37402
- Phone: 423-209-6700
- Chancery Court Minutes: ?
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1860
- County Court Minutes: ?
- Hamilton County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 6135 Heritage Park Drive, Chattanooga, TN 37416
- Phone: 423-209-7300
- Tax Records: 1836, 1837 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Hamilton County Health Department, 921 East Third Street, Chattanooga, TN 37403; (423) 209-8000 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Hamilton County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Hamilton County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Hamilton County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Hamilton Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hamilton Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hamilton Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hamilton Co. TN Census Records
Hamilton Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hamilton Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Hamilton Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hamilton Co. TN General and History Websites
Hamilton Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hamilton Co. TN Military Records