Gibson County, Tennessee
Genealogy and Facts
Gibson County, Tennessee genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Gibson Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Gibson County was founded on October 21, 1823 from lands ceded by the Chickasaws in the Jackson Purchase. This county was named in honor of John H. Gibson, a soldier of the Natchez Expedition and the Creek War. .
The Gibson County Seat is located in Trenton also, the county government website is www.gibsoncountytn.com .
Areas bordering to Gibson County are Weakley County (northeast), Carroll County (east), Madison County (south), Crockett County (southwest), Dyer County (west) and Obion County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Gibson County include Bradford, Dyer, Gibson, Humboldt, Kenton, Medina, Milan, Rutherford, Trenton, Yorkville .
Gibson County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Gibson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gibson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gibson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Gibson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Gibson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Gibson County Courthouse and Government Records
Gibson County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Gibson County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Gibson County courthouse in 1941.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Gibson County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 1 Court Square, Courthouse, Suite 100, PO Box 228, Trenton, TN 38382
- Phone: 731-855-7642
- Marriage Records: 1824
- Probate Records: 1824
- Gibson County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 1 Court Square Suite 201, Trenton, TN 38382
- Phone: (731) 855-7628
- Land & Deed Records: 1819
- Gibson County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 295 North College Street, Trenton, TN 38382
- Phone: 731-855-7615
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1834
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1824
- County Court Minutes: 1824
- Gibson County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: One Court Square, Courthouse, Trenton, TN 38382
- Phone: (731) 855-7634
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
- Gibson County Health Department, P. O. Box 8, 1250 Manufacturer's Row , Trenton, TN 38382; (731) 855-7601, (731) 855-7602 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time). Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Gibson County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Gibson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Gibson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Gibson Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Gibson Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Gibson Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Gibson Co. TN Census Records
Gibson Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Gibson Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Gibson Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Gibson Co. TN General and History Websites
Gibson Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Gibson Co. TN Military Records