Gibson County, Tennessee
Gibson County, Tennessee Facts
When was Gibson County, TN Created?
Gibson County was founded on October 21, 1823 from lands ceded by the Chickasaws in the Jackson Purchase. This county was named in honor of John H. Gibson, a soldier of the Natchez Expedition and the Creek War. .
What is the County Seat of Gibson County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Trenton also, the county government website is www.gibsoncountytn.com .
What counties are adjacent to Gibson County, TN?
Bordering counties are Weakley County (northeast), Carroll County (east), Madison County (south), Crockett County (southwest), Dyer County (west) and Obion County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Gibson County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Bradford, Dyer, Gibson, Humboldt, Kenton, Medina, Milan, Rutherford, Trenton, Yorkville .
Gibson County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Gibson County Courthouse?
Gibson County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Gibson County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Gibson County courthouse in 1941.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Gibson County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 1 Court Square, Courthouse, Suite 100, PO Box 228, Trenton, TN 38382
- Phone: 731-855-7642
- Marriage Records: 1824
- Probate Records: 1824
- Gibson County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 1 Court Square Suite 201, Trenton, TN 38382
- Phone: (731) 855-7628
- Land & Deed Records: 1819
- Gibson County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 295 North College Street, Trenton, TN 38382
- Phone: 731-855-7615
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1834
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1824
- County Court Minutes: 1824
- Gibson County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: One Court Square, Courthouse, Trenton, TN 38382
- Phone: (731) 855-7634
- Tax Records: 1830, 1833-1850, 1851-1856, 1862, 1867-1894, 1896-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Gibson County Health Department, P. O. Box 8, 1250 Manufacturer's Row , Trenton, TN 38382; (731) 855-7601, (731) 855-7602 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Gibson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Gibson County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Gibson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Gibson County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Gibson County can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Gibson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gibson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gibson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Gibson County, TN?
- Gibson County Archives, 731 South College, Trenton , TN 38382;
Phone: (731) 855-7688
- Mildred G. Fields Library, 1075A E. Van Hook Street, Milan, TN 38358 731-686-8268
Gibson County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Gibson County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Gibson County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Gibson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Gibson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Gibson Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Gibson Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Gibson Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Gibson Co. TN Census Records
Gibson Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Gibson Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Gibson Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Gibson Co. TN General and History Websites
Gibson Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Gibson Co. TN Military Records