Fayette County, Tennessee
Fayette County, Tennessee Facts
When was Fayette County, TN Created?
Fayette County was founded on September 29, 1824 from Shelby County and Hardeman County. This county was named in honor of Gilbert du Motier, marquis de La Fayette (1757–1834), a French-born general in the American Revolutionary War.
What is the County Seat of Fayette County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Somerville also, the county government website is www.fayettetn.us .
What counties are adjacent to Fayette County, TN?
Bordering counties are Haywood County (north), Hardeman County (east), Benton County, AR (southeast), Marshall County, MS (south), Shelby County (west) and Tipton County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Fayette County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Braden, Gallaway, Grand Junction, Hickory Withe, La Grange, Moscow, Oakland, Piperton, Rossville, Somerville, Williston .
Fayette County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Fayette County Courthouse?
Fayette County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Fayette County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Fayette County courthouse in 1925.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Fayette County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P O Box 218, Somerville, TN 38068
- Phone: 901-465-5213
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1836
- Fayette County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 99, Somerville, TN 38068
- Phone: (901) 465-5251
- Land & Deed Records: 1825
- Fayette County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 705 Justice Drive, Somerville, TN 38068
- Phone: 901-465-5205
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1924
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1829
- County Court Minutes: 1833
- Fayette County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P.O. Box 446, Somerville, TN 38068
- Phone: 901-465-5226
- Tax Records: 1836 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Fayette County Health Department, P. O. Box 188, 90 Yum Yum Road, Somerville, TN 38068; (901) 465-5243 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Fayette County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Fayette County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Fayette County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Fayette County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Fayette County can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Fayette Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fayette Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fayette Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Fayette County, TN?
- Fayette County Historical Society, Somerville-Fayette County Library,
216 West Market Street, Somerville, TN 38068 901-465-5248
Fayette County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Fayette County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Fayette County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Fayette County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Fayette County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Fayette Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fayette Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Fayette Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fayette Co. TN Census Records
Fayette Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Fayette Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fayette Co. TN General and History Websites
Fayette Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fayette Co. TN Military Records