Cumberland County, Tennessee
Cumberland County, Tennessee Facts
When was Cumberland County, TN Created?
Cumberland County was founded on November 16, 1855 from Roane County, Overton County, White County, Bledsoe County, Morgan County, Rhea County, Fentress County and Putnam County. This county was named for the Cumberland Mountains.
What is the County Seat of Cumberland County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Crossville also, the county government website is www.cumberlandcountytn.gov
What counties are adjacent to Cumberland County, TN?
Bordering counties are Fentress County (north), Morgan County (northeast), Roane County (east), Rhea County (southeast), Bledsoe County (south), Van Buren County (southwest), White County (west) and Putnam County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Cumberland County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Crab Orchard, Crossville, Fairfield Glade, Lake Tansi, Pleasant Hill.
Cumberland County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Cumberland County Courthouse?
Cumberland County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Cumberland County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Cumberland County courthouse in 1905, most records were destroyed.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Cumberland County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 2 N. Main Street, Suite 206, Crossville, TN 38555
- Phone: 931-484-6442
- Marriage Records: 1905
- Probate Records: 1904
- Cumberland County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 2 North Main St., Suite 204, Crossville, TN 38555
- Phone: (931) 484-5559
- Land & Deed Records: 1854
- Cumberland County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 60 Justice Center Drive, Suite 300, Crossville, TN 38555
- Phone: 931-484-6647
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1897
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1907
- County Court Minutes: 1905
- Cumberland County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 2 South Main St., Crossville, TN 38555
- Phone: (931) 484-5745
- Tax Records: ? (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Cumberland County Health Department, 13 1 South Webb Avenue, Crossville, TN 38555-8452; (931) 484-6196 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Cumberland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Cumberland County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Cumberland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Cumberland County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Cumberland County can be found for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cumberland Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Cumberland County, TN?
Cumberland County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Cumberland County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Cumberland County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Cumberland County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Cumberland County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Cumberland Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cumberland Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cumberland Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Cumberland Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cumberland Co. TN General and History Websites
Cumberland Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cumberland Co. TN Military Records