Chester County, Tennessee
Chester County, Tennessee Facts
When was Chester County, TN Created?
Chester County was founded on March 1, 1879 from Hardman County, Madison County, Henderson County and McNairy County. This county was named in honor of Tennessee state legislator Robert I. Chester. .
What is the County Seat of Chester County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Henderson also, the county government website is www.chestercountychamber.com/ .
What counties are adjacent to Chester County, TN?
Bordering counties are Henderson County (northeast), Hardin County (southeast), McNairy County (south), Hardeman County (southwest) and Madison County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Chester County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Enville, Henderson, Jacks Creek, Milledgeville, Silerton .
Chester County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Chester County Courthouse?
Chester County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Chester County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Chester County courthouse in 1933.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Chester County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 133 E Main St, Henderson, TN 38340;
- Phone: (901) 989-2233
- Marriage Records: 1891
- Probate Records: 1891
- Chester County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 292, Henderson, TN 38340
- Phone: (731) 989-4991
- Land & Deed Records: 1891
- Chester County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 333 Eric Bell Drive, Suite D, Henderson, TN 38340
- Phone: 731-989-2454
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1891
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1822
- County Court Minutes: 1891
- Chester County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P.O. Box 332, Henderson, TN 38340
- Phone: (731) 989-4882
- Tax Records: 1890-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Chester County Health Department, P. O. Box 323, 301 Quinco Drive, Henderson, TN 38340; (731) 989-7108 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Chester County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chester County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Chester County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Chester County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Chester County can be found for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chester Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Chester Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1880. Chester Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chester County, TN?
- Chester County Historical Society, P.O. Box 721, Henderson, TN 38340-0721
- Chester County Library, 1012 East Main Street, Henderson, TN 38340 731-989-4673
- Freed Hardeman University, Historical Room, 158 E. Main Street, Henderson, TN 38340 731-989-6000
Chester County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Chester County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Chester County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Chester County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Chester County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Chester Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Chester Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Chester Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Chester Co. TN Census Records
Chester Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Chester Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Chester Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Chester Co. TN General and History Websites
Chester Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Chester Co. TN Military Records