Blount County, Tennessee
Blount County, Tennessee Facts
When was Blount County, TN Created?
Blount County was founded on July 11, 1795 from Knox County. This county was named in honor of William Blount (1749–1800), governor of the Southwest Territory and later U.S. Senator .
What is the County Seat of Blount County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Maryville also, the county government website is www.blounttn.org .
What counties are adjacent to Blount County, TN?
Bordering counties are Knox County (north), Sevier County (east), Swain County, NC (south), Monroe County (southwest) and Loudon County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Blount County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Alcoa, Eagleton Village, Friendsville, Louisville, Maryville, Rockford, Seymour and Townsend .
Blount County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Blount County Courthouse?
Blount County Courthouse
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Blount county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Blount County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 345 Court Street, Maryville, TN 37804
- Phone: 865-273-5800
- Marriage Records:1795
- Probate Records:1795
- Blount County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 349 Court Street, Maryville, TN 37804
- Phone: (865) 273-5880
- Land & Deed Records: 1795
- Blount County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: Justice Center 926 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy., Maryville, TN 37804-6201
- Phone: 865-273-5400
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1859
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1852
- County Court Minutes: 1795
- Blount County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 351 Court Street, Maryville, TN 37804-5906
- Phone: (865) 273-5850
- Tax Records:1800, 1801, 1803-1805, 1837-1839, 1845-1856, 1864-1900(located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Blount County Health Department, P. O. Box 4609, 301 McGhee Street, Maryville, TN 37801; (865) 983-4582 ,
issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Blount County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Blount County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Blount County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Blount County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Blount County can be found for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Blount Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Blount Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Blount Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Blount County, TN?
A list of Blount County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Blount County Records Management,
337 Court Street.
Maryville , TN 37804;
Phone: (865) 273-5796 [EMAIL]
- City of Maryville Archives,
301 McGhee Street,
Maryville , TN 37801;
Phone: (865) 981-1343
- Blount County Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 4986, Maryville, TN 37802-4986
- Blount County Public Library, 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville, TN 37804 865-982-0981
- Lamar Memorial Library, 502 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy., Maryville, TN 37804 865-981-8256
Blount County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Blount County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Blount County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Blount County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Blount County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Blount County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Blount Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Blount Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Blount Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Blount Co. TN Census Records
Blount Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Blount Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Blount Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Blount Co. TN General and History Websites
Blount Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Blount Co. TN Military Records