Blount County, Tennessee
Genealogy and Facts
Blount County, Tennessee genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Blount Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Blount County was founded on July 11, 1795 from Knox County. This county was named in honor of William Blount (1749–1800), governor of the Southwest Territory and later U.S. Senator .
The Blount County Seat is located in Maryville also, the county government website is www.blounttn.org .
Areas bordering to Blount County are Knox County (north), Sevier County (east), Swain County, NC (south), Monroe County (southwest) and Loudon County (west) .
Cities and towns located in Blount County include Alcoa, Eagleton Village, Friendsville, Louisville, Maryville, Rockford, Seymour and Townsend .
Blount County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Blount Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Blount Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Blount Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Blount County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Blount County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Blount County Records Management,
337 Court Street.
Maryville , TN 37804;
Phone: (865) 273-5796 [EMAIL]
- City of Maryville Archives,
301 McGhee Street,
Maryville , TN 37801;
Phone: (865) 981-1343
- Blount County Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 4986, Maryville, TN 37802-4986
- Blount County Public Library, 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville, TN 37804 865-982-0981
- Lamar Memorial Library, 502 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy., Maryville, TN 37804 865-981-8256
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Blount County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Blount County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Blount County
- Blount County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Blount County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Blount County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Blount County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Blount County.
Blount County Courthouse and Government Records
Blount County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Blount county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Blount County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 345 Court Street, Maryville, TN 37804
- Phone: 865-273-5800
- Marriage Records:1795
- Probate Records:1795
- Blount County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 349 Court Street, Maryville, TN 37804
- Phone: (865) 273-5880
- Land & Deed Records: 1795
- Blount County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: Justice Center 926 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy., Maryville, TN 37804-6201
- Phone: 865-273-5400
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1859
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1852
- County Court Minutes: 1795
- Blount County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 351 Court Street, Maryville, TN 37804-5906
- Phone: (865) 273-5850
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Blount County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Blount County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Blount Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Blount Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Blount Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Blount Co. TN Census Records
Blount Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Blount Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Blount Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Blount Co. TN General and History Websites
Blount Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Blount Co. TN Military Records