Union County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy and Facts
Union County, Pennsylvania genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Union Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Union County was established on March 22, 1813 from Northumberland County. The county was named for the federal union of the states.
Currently the Union County Seat is located in Lewisburg and in addition the county government website is www.unioncountypa.org
Counties adjacent to Union County are Lycoming County (north), Northumberland County (east), Snyder County (south), Mifflin County (west), Centre County (northwest).
Municipalities situated in Union County consist of Townships: Buffalo, East Buffalo, Gregg, Hartley, Kelly, Lewis, Limestone, Union, contains the unincorporated village of Winfield, West Buffalo, White Deer. Boroughs: Hartleton, Lewisburg, Mifflinburg, New Berlin. See also Union County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Union County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Union Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Union County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Union County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Union County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Union County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Union County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Union County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Union County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 103 South Second Street, Lewisburg, PA 17837
- Phone: (570) 524-8751
- Union County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 570-524-8761
- Land Records: 1813
- Union County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (570) 524-8751
- Court & Divorce Records: 1813
- Union County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (570) 524-8761
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1813
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Union County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Union County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Union County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Union County genealogy or family history related sites.
Union Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Union Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Union Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Union Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Union Co. PA Census Records
Union Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Union Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Union Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Union Co. PA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Pennsylvania
- Union County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History and topography of Northumberland, Huntingdon, Mifflin, Centre, Union, Columbia, Juniata and Clinton Counties, Pa. : emb (search.ancestry.com)
- Union County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Union Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Union County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Union (cyndislist.com)
- Union County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Union Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Union County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Union County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Union Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Union Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Union Co. PA Military Records