Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy and Facts
Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Huntingdon Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Huntingdon County was established on September 20, 1787 from Bedford County. The county was named for the historic English county of Huntingdonshire.
Currently the Huntingdon County Seat is located in Huntingdon and in addition the county government website is huntingdoncounty.net
Counties adjacent to Huntingdon County are Centre County (north), Mifflin County (east), Juniata County (east), Franklin County (southeast), Fulton County (south), Bedford County (southwest), Blair County (west).
Municipalities situated in Huntingdon County consist of Townships: Barree, Brady, Carbon, Cass, Clay, Cromwell, Dublin, Franklin, Henderson, Hopewell, Jackson, Juniata, Lincoln, Logan, Miller, Morris, Oneida, Penn, Porter, Shirley, Smithfield, Springfield, Spruce Creek, Tell, Todd, Union, Walker, Warriors Mark, West, Wood. Boroughs: Alexandria, Birmingham, Broad Top City, Cassville, Coalmont, Dudley, Huntingdon, Mapleton, Marklesburg, Mill Creek, Mount Union, Orbisonia, Petersburg, Rockhill Furnace, Saltillo, Shade Gap, Shirleysburg, Three Springs. See also Huntingdon County Municipalities Incorporation Dates..
Huntingdon County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Huntingdon Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Huntingdon Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Huntingdon Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Huntingdon County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Huntingdon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Pennsylvania State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Huntingdon County Historical Society, 100 4th St., Huntingdon, PA 16652-1418; (814) 643-5449
- Jewish Genealogical Society Of Philadelphia, 1279 June Road, Huntingdon Valley 19006-8405
- Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Huntingdon County
- Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Huntingdon County
Huntingdon County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Huntingdon County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Huntingdon County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Huntingdon County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Huntingdon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 223 Penn Street, Huntingdon, PA 16652
- Phone: (814) 643-3091
- Huntingdon County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (814) 643-2740
- Land Records: 1786
- Huntingdon County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (814) 643-1610
- Court & Divorce Records: 1787
- Huntingdon County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (814) 643-2740
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1786
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Huntingdon County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Huntingdon County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Huntingdon County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Huntingdon County genealogy or family history related sites.
Huntingdon Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Huntingdon Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Huntingdon Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Huntingdon Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Huntingdon Co. PA Census Records
Huntingdon Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Huntingdon Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Huntingdon Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Huntingdon Co. PA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Pennsylvania
- Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History and topography of Northumberland, Huntingdon, Mifflin, Centre, Union, Columbia, Juniata and Clinton Counties, Pa. : emb (search.ancestry.com)
- Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Huntingdon Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Huntingdon (cyndislist.com)
- Huntingdon County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Huntingdon Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Huntingdon County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Huntingdon Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Huntingdon Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Huntingdon Co. PA Military Records