Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Tuscarawas County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Tuscarawas Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Tuscarawas County was created on March 15, 1808 from Muskingum County. This county was named for the Tuscarawas River, meaning "open mouth river" or the Tuscarawas tribe who lived on the river .
The Tuscarawas County Seat is located in New Philadelphia also, the county government website is www.co.tuscarawas.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Tuscarawas County are Stark County (
north), Carroll County (northeast), Harrison County (southeast), Guernsey County (south), Coshocton County (southwest), Holmes County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Tuscarawas County include Dover, New Philadelphia, Uhrichsville, Baltic, Barnhill, Bolivar, Dennison, Gnadenhutten, Midvale, Mineral City, Newcomerstown, Parral, Port Washington, Roswell, Stone Creek, Strasburg, Sugarcreek, Tuscarawas, Zoar. Other communities include Dundee, Sandyville, Somerdale, Stillwater, Wainwright.
Tuscarawas County Townships include Auburn, Bucks, Clay, Dover, Fairfield, Franklin, Goshen, Jefferson, Lawrence, Mill, Oxford, Perry, Rush, Salem, Sandy, Sugar Creek, Union, Warren, Warwick, Washington, Wayne, York.
Tuscarawas County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Tuscarawas Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tuscarawas Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tuscarawas Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Tuscarawas County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Tuscarawas County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Tuscarawas County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 141, New Philadelphia, OH 44663-0141; Tuscarawas County Chapter, OGS meets at 307 Center St., Dennison, OH on the second Monday of each month at 7:30pm.
- Tuscarawas County Historical Society, PO Box 462, New Philadelphia, OH 44663-0462;Phone: (330) 339-3391 Ext 47494; The Tuscarawas County Historical Society maintains a historic markers program, has developed a county history for use in area schools, and collects records of area significance. The Society also operates the archives at the Tuscarawas Campus of Kent State University.
- Alpine Hills Historical Museum, PO Box 293, Sugarcreek, OH 44681-0293;Phone: (330) 852-4113; The Alpine Hills Historical Museum depicts the early days of the community and its Swiss and Amish heritage.
- Baltic-Area Historical Society, PO Box 40, Baltic, OH 43804-0040; Phone: (330) 897-7742; Harrison Coal & Reclamation Park is dedicated to the preservation of the coal and surface mining industry's history, heritage, and machinery. The organization's goal is to acquire and preserve Ohio's last stripping shovel "The Silver Spade" when retired from service. 9008830Chester-Shade Historical Association preserves the history and artifacts for future generations and provides educational programs, develops community pride, and attracts tourists to help boost the local economy.
- Dover Historical Society, 325 E Iron Ave, Dover, OH 44622-2105;Phone: (800) 815-2794; The J.E. Reeves Victorian Home is a 19th Century, 17-room mansion with original furnishings. The Carriage House Museum features historic artifacts including the Reeves family sleigh and carriage, a rare electric car, a doctor's buggy, and memorabilia surrounding Dover born, guerrilla Civil War leader, William Clark Quantrill.
- Gnadenhutten Historical Society , 156 Spring St, Gnadenhutten, OH 44629-9752; Phone: (740) 254-4143; The Gnadenhutten Historical Society contains arrowhead collections, old Bibles, books, and many artifacts from the 1800s donated by local residents. Located on the grounds are a reconstructed church, a coopers cabin, the burial mound of ninety Christian Indians who were massacred during the Revolutionary War, a monument, and one of the oldest tombstones in Ohio.
- Newcomerstown Historical Society, PO Box 443, Newcomerstown, OH 43832-0443; Phone: (740) 498-7735; The Newcomerstown Historical Society presents the history of Newcomerstown and the Delaware Indians as part of the nation's development.
- Port Washington-Salem Historical Society, PO Box 12, Port Washington, OH 43837-0012; Phone: (937) 787-4256; The Port Washington-Salem Historical Society operates the 1879 3-story Port Washington Town Hall. The Town Hall features a 3-story spiral staircase and displays of the Society's collection of local-interest manuscripts, books, and clothing.
- Tuscarawas County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Tuscarawas County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Tuscarawas County
- Tuscarawas County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Tuscarawas County
Tuscarawas County Courthouse and Government Records
Tuscarawas County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Tuscarawas County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Tuscarawas County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Tuscarawas County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Tuscarawas County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 E., High Ave., New Philadelphia 44663
- Phone: (330) 364-8811
- Tuscarawas County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (330) 365-3266
- Marriage Records: 1808
- Probate Records: 1809
- Tuscarawas County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 125 East High Avenue, New Philadelphia, Ohio 44663
- Phone: (330) 365-3284
- Land Records: ?
- Tuscarawas County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 125 East High Avenue, Room 230, P. O. Box 628, New Philadelphia, OH 44663-0628
- Phone: 330-365-3243
- Court Records: 1808
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Tuscarawas County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Tuscarawas County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Tuscarawas County genealogy or family history related sites.
Tuscarawas Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Tuscarawas Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Tuscarawas Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Tuscarawas Co. OH Census Records
Tuscarawas Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Tuscarawas Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Tuscarawas Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Tuscarawas Co. OH General and History Websites
Tuscarawas Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Tuscarawas Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Tuscarawas Co. OH Military Records