Portage County, Ohio
Portage County was created on June 7, 1807 from Trumbull County. This county was named foran Indian portage.
The Portage County Seat is located in Ravenna also, the county government website is www.co.portage.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Portage County are Geauga County (north), Trumbull County (east), Mahoning County (southeast), Stark County (
south), Summit County (west), Cuyahoga County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Portage County include Aurora, Kent, Ravenna, Streetsboro, Tallmadge, Brady Lake, Garrettsville, Hiram, Mantua, Mogadore, Sugar Bush Knolls, Windham. Other communities include Diamond, Wayland, Brimfield.
Portage County Townships include Atwater, Brimfield, Charlestown, Deerfield, Edinburg, Franklin, Freedom, Hiram, Mantua, Nelson, Palmyra, Paris, Randolph, Ravenna, Rootstown, Shalersville, Suffield, Windham.
Portage County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Portage County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Portage County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Portage Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Portage Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Portage Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Portage County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Portage County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio (raogk.org)
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Portage County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 821, Ravenna, OH 44266; Portage County Chapter, OGS meets at the Portage County Historical Society Museum, 6549 North Chestnut St., Ravenna, OH on the third Saturday of the month at 2:00pm. Meetings are nine times a year: January through June and September through November. No meetings in July and August or December; at least one field trip in the spring in place of the meeting. This OGS Chapter is presently updating and publishing all Portage County cemetery records and continuing to publish its Ohio Genealogical Society award winning newsletter. All cemetery records are published for county. Chapter is now indexing court (probate) records housed at Portage Count Historical Society.
- Portage County Historical Society, 6549 N Chestnut St, Ravenna, OH 44266-3907; Phone: (330) 296-3523; The Portage County Historical Society provides tours of its museums with their exhibits of historical artifacts. The Society's research library contains numerous publications available for research and among its programs is a free lecture series.
- Atwater Historical Society, 171 Petrie Rd, Atwater, OH 44201-9214; Phone: (330) 947-2742; The Atwater Historical Society began in October 1996. The museum site is a remodeled township house and that presents programs and displays. The house is partially finished. They offer reproductions of memorabilia (photos and graphics) to the public and participate in historical events-have provided speakers.
- Aurora Historical Society, PO Box 241, Aurora, OH 44202-0241; Phone: (330) 995-3336; The Aurora Historical Society collects early cheese-making materials, glass plate photographs, a century homes photo collection, genealogy records, and has community projects, antique shows, and history scholarships for high school seniors.
- Brimfield Historical Society, 4158 St Rt 43, Brimfield, OH 44240-6916; Phone: (330) 673-1058; The Brimfield Historical Society maintains the 1833 Kelso House, the former Union House Inn, built by William R. Kelso. The museum features a country kitchen, a Victorian parlor and exhibits of local artifacts. The grounds also contain a 1840s New England-style barn, a double-bayed corncrib and a granary.
- Deerfield Historical Society, PO Box 34, Deerfield, OH 44411; Phone: (330) 584-6385; The Deerfield Historical Society is located in the Everett Home that houses a large collection of photographs of local buildings and citizens and reference books for genealogical research.
- Hiram Historical Society, PO Box 1775, Hiram, OH 44234-1775; Phone: (330) 569-7378; The Hiram Historical Society preserves the oral and artifactual history of Hiram Village and Township. Its museum, located in a restored 1840s house, holds local history programs, sponsors an annual President's Day dinner, and has a biennial Home and Garden Walk.
- James A. Garfield Historical Society, PO Box 144, Garrettsville, OH 44231-0144; Phone: (330) 527-5669; The James A. Garfield Historical Society is dedicated to education, preservation and restoration in the Garrettsville, Freedom, and Nelson communities
- Kent Historical Society, PO Box 663, 152 Franklin Ave, Kent, OH 44240-0012; Phone: (330) 678-2712; The Kent Historical Society maintains the Rowe Museum, located on the second floor of the restored 1875 Tuscan Revival, Atlantic and Great Western Railroad Station. The Museum exhibits historical artifacts from the Kent area and there is a research collection on Kent history.
- Mantua Historical Society, PO Box 220, Mantua, OH 44255-0220; Phone: (330) 274-0803; The Mantua Historical Society maintains a museum with collections that include several pieces of Mantua glass and a substantial collection of Indian artifacts. The Society saves historical memorabilia and community artifacts for future generations. It is located on the upper story of the Town Hall.
- Randolph Historical Society , PO Box 67, Randolph, OH 44265-0067; Phone: (330) 325-8817; The Randolph Historical Society members are interested in Randolph's history from civil ware, Underground Railroad homes, agricultural, old tractors, trucks, cars and others interested in seeing past residents or family members of old residents.
- Rootstown Historical Society, PO Box 83, Rootstown, OH 44272-9620; Phone: (330) 325-1962; The Rootstown Historical Society collects and preserves the history of Rootstown, located in the northeastern portion of Ohio known as the Connecticut Western Reserve. Named for Ephraim Root, the town remained a small farm town until 1850, when a band of 16 whaling sea captains arrived from Nantucket, bought land, and built large homes, many of which are still occupied.
- Shalersville Historical Society , PO Box 687, Mantua, OH 44255-0687; Phone: (330) 274-0273;
- Portage County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Portage County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Portage County
- Portage County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Portage County
Portage County Courthouse and Government Records
Portage County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Portage County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Portage County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Portage County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
Portage County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Portage County.
Portage Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Portage Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Portage Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Portage Co. OH Census Records
Portage Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Portage Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Portage Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Portage Co. OH General and History Websites
Portage Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Portage Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Portage Co. OH Military Records