Mercer County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Mercer County, Ohio Facts
When was Mercer County, OH Created?
Mercer County was created on April 1, 1820 from Darke County and Shelby County (Organized in 1824). This county was named for General Hugh Mercer (1726-1777), a Revolutionary War officer .
What is the County Seat of Mercer County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Celina also, the county government website is www.mercercountyohio.org/ .
What counties are adjacent to Mercer County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Van Wert County (north), Auglaize County (east), Shelby County (west), Darke County (south), Jay County, Indiana (southwest), Adams County, Indiana (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Mercer County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Celina, Burkettsville, Chickasaw, Coldwater, Ft. Recovery, Mendon, Montezuma, Rockford, St. Henry. Other communities include Include Maria Stein.
What townships are in Mercer County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Black Creek, Butler, Center, Dublin, Franklin, Gibson, Granville, Hopewell, Jefferson, Liberty, Marion, Recovery, Union, Washington.
Mercer County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Mercer County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Mercer County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Mercer County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Mercer County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Mercer County, OH Census Records
What Mercer County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Mercer County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mercer Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mercer Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mercer Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Mercer County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Mercer County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Mercer County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Mercer County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Mercer County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 N. Main St., Celina 45822-0000
- Phone: (419) 586-3178
- Mercer County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419-586-8779
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1824
- Mercer County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-586-4232
- Land Records: 1823
- Mercer County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (419) 586-6461
- Court Records: 1824
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Mercer County USGenWeb Archives Project
Mercer County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Mercer County, OH?
A list of Mercer County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Mercer County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 437, Celina, OH 45822-0437; Phone: (419) 992-3810; Mercer County Chapter, OGS meets at 2:00pm on the first Sunday of each month, except August, at the Richardson-Bretz Building, 115 W. Fulton St., Celina, OH. This OGS Chapter's genealogical materials are housed at the Mercer County Library, 303 N. Main Street, Celina - Phone (419) 586-4442.
- Robot for Wright State University Archives,
Special Collections and Archives, Paul Laurence Dunbar Library, Wright State University, Dayton, OH 45435; 937-775-2092
- Mercer County Historical Museum , PO Box 512, 130 E Market St, Celina, OH 45822-0512; Phone: (419) 586-6065; The Mercer County Historical Museum is recognized for its scholarly lecture series, local history publications on county and/or community history, the barn architecture of the many Mercer County barns, James Zura Riley's Gold Rush Diaries, and archival research on Captain James Riley.
- Shanes Crossing Historical Society, PO Box 282, Rockford, OH 45882-0282; Phone: (419) 363-2998; The Shanes Crossing Historical Society actively collects artifacts, books, and memorabilia relating to village history and history of the area. The Society is presently relocating and restoring a historically significant log house.
- Fort Recovery Historical Society, PO Box 533, Fort Recovery, OH 45846-0533; Phone: (419) 375-4649; The Fort Recovery Historical Society exhibits the Native American and military dress of the 1790s, fort construction, and the use of the pack cannon. Also included are exhibits describing the Indian Wars of the 1790s, a balcony gallery containing the largest collection of Native American artifacts in Ohio, and articles of local historical interest. The Society operates the Museum for the Ohio Historical Society.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Mercer County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Mercer County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Mercer County.
Mercer Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mercer Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Mercer Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mercer Co. OH General and History Websites
Mercer Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Mercer Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mercer Co. OH Military Records