Mercer County, Ohio
Mercer County was created on April 1, 1820 from Darke County and Shelby County (Organized in 1824). This county was named for General Hugh Mercer (1726-1777), a Revolutionary War officer .
The Mercer County Seat is located in Celina also, the county government website is www.mercercountyohio.org/ .
Areas bordering to Mercer County are Van Wert County (north), Auglaize County (east), Shelby County (
west), Darke County (south), Jay County, Indiana (southwest), Adams County, Indiana (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Mercer County include Celina, Burkettsville, Chickasaw, Coldwater, Ft. Recovery, Mendon, Montezuma, Rockford, St. Henry. Other communities include Include Maria Stein.
Mercer County Townships include Black Creek, Butler, Center, Dublin, Franklin, Gibson, Granville, Hopewell, Jefferson, Liberty, Marion, Recovery, Union, Washington.
Mercer County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Mercer County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Mercer County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mercer Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mercer Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mercer Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Mercer County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Mercer County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mercer County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 437, Celina, OH 45822-0437; Phone: (419) 992-3810; Mercer County Chapter, OGS meets at 2:00pm on the first Sunday of each month, except August, at the Richardson-Bretz Building, 115 W. Fulton St., Celina, OH. This OGS Chapter's genealogical materials are housed at the Mercer County Library, 303 N. Main Street, Celina - Phone (419) 586-4442.
- Robot for Wright State University Archives,
Special Collections and Archives, Paul Laurence Dunbar Library, Wright State University, Dayton, OH 45435; 937-775-2092
- Mercer County Historical Museum , PO Box 512, 130 E Market St, Celina, OH 45822-0512; Phone: (419) 586-6065; The Mercer County Historical Museum is recognized for its scholarly lecture series, local history publications on county and/or community history, the barn architecture of the many Mercer County barns, James Zura Riley's Gold Rush Diaries, and archival research on Captain James Riley.
- Shanes Crossing Historical Society, PO Box 282, Rockford, OH 45882-0282; Phone: (419) 363-2998; The Shanes Crossing Historical Society actively collects artifacts, books, and memorabilia relating to village history and history of the area. The Society is presently relocating and restoring a historically significant log house.
- Fort Recovery Historical Society, PO Box 533, Fort Recovery, OH 45846-0533; Phone: (419) 375-4649; The Fort Recovery Historical Society exhibits the Native American and military dress of the 1790s, fort construction, and the use of the pack cannon. Also included are exhibits describing the Indian Wars of the 1790s, a balcony gallery containing the largest collection of Native American artifacts in Ohio, and articles of local historical interest. The Society operates the Museum for the Ohio Historical Society.
- Mercer County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Mercer County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Mercer County
- Mercer County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Mercer County
Mercer County Courthouse and Government Records
Mercer County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Mercer County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Mercer County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Mercer County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Mercer County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 N. Main St., Celina 45822-0000
- Phone: (419) 586-3178
- Mercer County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419-586-8779
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1824
- Mercer County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-586-4232
- Land Records: 1823
- Mercer County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (419) 586-6461
- Court Records: 1824
- The Mercer County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Mercer County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Mercer County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Mercer County genealogy or family history related sites.
Mercer Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mercer Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Mercer Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Mercer Co. OH Census Records
Mercer Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Mercer Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Mercer Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mercer Co. OH General and History Websites
Mercer Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Mercer Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mercer Co. OH Military Records