Logan County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Logan County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Logan Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Logan County was created on March 1, 1818 from Champaign County. This county was named for General Benjamin Logan (c.1742–1802) , who destroyed Shawnee Indian towns in the county .
The Logan County Seat is located in Bellefontaine also, the county government website is www.co.logan.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Logan County are Hardin County (north), Union County (east), Champaign County (south), Shelby County (west), Auglaize County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Logan County include Bellefontaine, Belle Center, De Graff, Huntsville, Lakeview, Quincy, Ridgeway, Rushsylvania, Russells Point, Valley Hi, West Liberty, West Mansfield, Zanesfield. Other communities include East Liberty, Lewistown, Logansville, Middleburg, Northwood, Pickrelltown.
Logan County Townships include Bloomfield, Bokes Creek, Harrison, Jefferson, Lake, Liberty, McArthur, Miami, Monroe, Perry, Pleasant, Richland, Rush Creek, Stokes, Union, Washington, Zane.
Logan County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Logan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Logan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Logan Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Logan County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Logan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Logan County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 36, Bellefontaine, OH 43311-0036; Logan County Chapter, OGS meets at the Society Library, 521 E. Columbus Ave., May through October at 7:00pm on the third Monday of the month and November through April at 1:00pm on the third Wednesday of the month. Library resources include: census (microfilm), old newspapers (microfilm), surname files, county histories, family histories, marriage records, military rosters, cemetery records, etc. Research is done by the Society for a fee. Internet access records on CDs.
- Logan County Historical Society , 521 E Columbus Ave, Bellefontaine, OH 43311-2401; Phone: (937) 593-7557; The Logan County Historical Society maintains the 1906 Orr Mansion and an attached 18-room museum exhibiting agricultural, military, railroad, industrial, Native American, household, communication and Underground Railroad artifacts from Logan County, plus an archives. The Society also maintains a late 19th century black settlement, one-room school at an offsite location.
- Logan County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Logan County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Logan County
- Logan County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Logan County
Logan County Courthouse and Government Records
Logan County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Logan County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Logan County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Logan County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Logan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 South Main Street, PO Box 429, Bellefontaine 43311-0429
- Phone: (937) 599-7275
- Logan County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (937)599-7249
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1851
- Logan County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 100 South Madriver Street, Bellefontaine, Ohio 43311
- Phone: 937-599-7201
- Land Records: 1810
- Logan County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (937) 599-7260
- Court Records: 1804
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Logan County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Logan County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Logan County genealogy or family history related sites.
Logan Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Logan Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Logan Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Logan Co. OH Census Records
Logan Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Logan Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Logan Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Logan Co. OH General and History Websites
Logan Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Logan Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Logan Co. OH Military Records