Erie County, Ohio
Erie County was created on March 15, 1838 from Huron County and Sandusky County (Organized in 1838). This county was named for the Erie Indians .
The Erie County Seat is located in Sandusky also, the county government website is www.eriecounty.oh.gov .
Areas bordering to Erie County are Ontario, Canada (north), Lorain County (east), Huron County (south), Sandusky County (west), Ottawa County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Erie County include Bellevue, Huron, Sandusky, Vermilion, Bay View, Berlin Heights, Castalia, Kelleys Island, Milan. Other communities include Avery, Birmingham .
Erie County Townships include Berlin, Florence, Groton, Huron, Margaretta, Milan, Oxford, Perkins, Vermilion.
Erie County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Erie County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Erie County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Erie Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Erie Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Erie Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Erie County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Erie County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio (raogk.org)
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Erie County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 1301, Sandusky, OH 44871-1301; Phone: (419) 626-9053; meets at the Zion Lutheran Church on the third Monday of each month during March, April, May, September, October, and November with an annual cemetery picnic in June. This OGS Chapter concentrates on Erie County history and genealogy.
- Erie County Historical Society, PO Box 944, Sandusky, OH 44871-0944; Phone: (419) 625-4341; The Erie County Historical Society meets four times a year with programs about local or area history. It encourages the study of local history in the schools and supports other history and preservation groups.
- Berlin Heights Historical Society, PO Box 175, Berlin Heights, OH 44814-0175
- Brownhelm Historical Association, PO Box 303, Vermilion, OH 44089-0303; Phone: (440) 988-4550; The Brownhelm Historical Association, formed in response to the destruction of a valuable landmark, focuses on saving other such sites in the community. Currently the Association is attempting to save an 1889 schoolhouse. The 1870 German Reformed Church was donated to the Brownhelm Historical Association in December 1996 and is a mini museum.
- Great Lakes Historical Society, PO Box 435, Vermilion, OH 44089-0435; Phone: (800) 893-1485; The Great Lakes Historical Society maintains the Inland Seas Maritime Museum that specialize in ship models, paintings, artifacts, navigational instruments, and exhibits relating to the Great Lakes. Experience all new hands-on, interactive and multi-media displays added in 2001. The Society also maintains the Clarence S. Metcalf Library and Lake Erie Shipwreck Research Center.
- Huron Historical Society, 333 Williams St, Huron, OH 44839-0222; Phone: (419) 433-5009; The Huron Historical Society maintains a small archival collection relating to the Huron area.
- Kelleys Island Historical Association Inc, PO Box 328, Kelleys Island, OH 43438-0328; Phone: (419) 746-2399; Kelleys Island Historical Association operates a museum in the former German Reformed Church, a stone building built in 1867. Exhibits emphasize the heritage of Kelleys Island with key areas being; quarrying, viniculture, commercial fishing, and island people. A gift shoppe has recently been added to help fund daily operations and a new proposed museum.
- Milan Historical Museum , PO Box 308, Milan, OH 44846-0308; Phone: (419) 499-2968; The Milan Historical Museum includes the 1846 Galpin Home which contains a 1,500 world class art glass exhibit, collections of civil war guns, pistols and sabres, mechanical banks and other historical artifacts; other historic homes with collections of 400 antique dolls; 1843 Robert Sayles House; Gift Shop; Blacksmith Shop; Perrennial Gardenwalk; and the General Store.
- Milan-Berlin Public Library , PO Box 1550, Milan, OH; Phone: (419) 499-4117
- Erie County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Erie County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Erie County
- Erie County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Erie County
Erie County Courthouse and Government Records
Erie County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Erie County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Erie County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Erie County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Erie County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 323 Columbus Ave., Sandusky 44870
- Phone: (419) 627-7705
- Erie County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (419) 627-7750
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1838
- Erie County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 247 Columbus Avenue, Suite 225, Sandusky, OH 44870
- Phone: (419) 627-7686
- Land Records: 1837
- Erie County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 419-627-7705
- Court Records: 1838
- The Erie County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Erie County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Erie County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Erie County genealogy or family history related sites.
Erie Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Erie Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Erie Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Erie Co. OH Census Records
Erie Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Erie Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Erie Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Erie Co. OH General and History Websites
Erie Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Erie Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Erie Co. OH Military Records
AlpineErie Co. OH Schools & Directories