Mercer County, New Jersey
Mercer County was established on February 22, 1838 from Burlington County, Hunterdon County, Middlesex County, and Somerset County. The county was named in honor of Continental Army General Hugh Mercer (1726–1777), who died at the Battle of Princeton.
The Mercer County Seat is located in Trenton plus the county government website is nj.gov/counties/mercer/
Locales surrounding Mercer County are Somerset County (north), Middlesex County (northeast), Monmouth County (east), Burlington County (south), Bucks County, Pennsylvania (west), Hunterdon County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Mercer County are made up of Trenton. Communities include Grover's Mill, Lawrenceville, Mercerville-Hamilton Square, Princeton Junction, Princeton North, Robbinsville, Titusville, Twin Rivers, White Horse, Windsor, Yardville-Groveville.
Townships include East Windsor, Ewing, Hamilton, Hopewell, Lawrence, Princeton, Washington, West Windsor. Boroughs include Hightstown, Hopewell, Pennington, Princeton.
Mercer County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mercer Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mercer Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mercer Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research.
Mercer County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Mercer County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for New Jersey (raogk.org)
- New Jersey State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mercer County Cultural and Heritage Commission, 640 S. Broad St., Trenton, NJ 08650, (609) 989-6701
- Hopewell Valley Historical Society, State Hwy. No. 579 & 601, Pennington NJ 08534
- Old Mill Hill Society, P.O. Box 1263, Trenton
- Princeton Historical Society, 158 Nassau Street, Princeton, NJ 08542; 609.921.6748
- Trenton Historical Society, P.O. Box 1112, Trenton, NJ 08606; (609) 396-4478
- Mercer County, New Jersey Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Mercer County
- Mercer County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Mercer County
- USGenWeb Archives for Mercer County (usgwarchives.net)
Mercer County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the advantages of Mercer County court, probate, and land records data as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in New Jersey courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and worries of the many New Jersey citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least some elements of their lives in the Mercer County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
You should call the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of employees will help individuals in finding the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the basic research.
The following information and facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are usually in Mercer County. The years stated below are considered the first widely known records data for this particular county.
- Mercer County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 209 South Broad Street, Trenton, NJ 08650
- Mercer County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Phone: (609) 989-6464
- Land Records: 1838 Where two years appear, the first refers to mortgages, the second to deeds.
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Mercer County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Address: 175 South Broad Street, P.O. Box 8068, Trenton, NJ 08650-0068
- Phone: 609-989-6331
- Probate Records: 1838 Where two years are given, the first is the date when orphans' court minutes begin, the second when surrogates' records and files begin .
- Mercer County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies ofBirth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Mercer County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Mercer County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is merely a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most popular Mercer County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Mercer Co. NJ Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mercer Co. NJ Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Mercer Co. NJ Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also New Jersey Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- The Town records of Hopewell, New Jersey (search.ancestry.com)
- Abstracts of Partitions and Divisions of the New Jersey Counties of Monmouth, Mercer, and Burlington (search.ancestry.com)
- Nottingham township, New Jersey minute book 1692-1710, 1752-1772 (search.ancestry.com)
- New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817 (search.ancestry.com)
- Patents and Deeds and Other Early Records of New Jersey 1664-1703 (search.ancestry.com)
- New Jersey, Published Archives Series, 1631-1782 (search.ancestry.com)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Mercer Co. NJ Census Records
Mercer Co. NJ Cemeteries & Graveyards
Mercer Co. NJ Church & Bible Records
Mercer Co. NJ Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mercer Co. NJ General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New Jersey
- Mercer County, New Jersey Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A history of Trenton, 1679-1929, two hundred and fifty years of a notable town with links in four centuries (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Burlington and Mercer counties, New Jersey, with biographical sketches of many of their pioneers and prominent men (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Princeton and its institutions : the town from its first settlement, through the Revolutionary War ... (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the city of Trenton, New Jersey, embracing a period of nearly two hundred years, commencing in 1676 ... (search.ancestry.com)
- Mercer County, New Jersey Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Mercer Co. NJ Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Mercer County, New Jersey (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New Jersey - Counties - Mercer (cyndislist.com)
- Mercer County New Jersey (genealogytrails.com)
- Mercer Co. NJGenweb (esmartkid.com)
- Mercer County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Mercer Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Mercer Co. NJ Immigration & Naturalization
Mercer Co. NJ Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mercer Co. NJ Military Records
Mercer Co. NJ Schools & Directories