St. Louis County, Missouri
St. Louis County was created on October 1, 1812 as one of the five original counties (reorganized August 22, 1876 when St. Louis City and St. Louis County split). The county was named in honor of King Louis IX (1214–1270), King of France from 1226 until his death .
The St. Louis County Seat is situated in Clayton and in addition the county government website is www.stlouisco.com
Areas surrounding St. Louis County include St. Charles County (north, northwest), Madison County, Illinois (northeast), City of St. Louis (east), St. Clair County, Illinois (southeast), Monroe County, Illinois (southeast), Jefferson County (south), Franklin County (southwest).
Cities and towns to be found in St. Louis County include Ballwin, Bella Villa, Bellefontaine Neighbors, Bellerive, Bel-Nor, Bel-Ridge, Berkeley, Beverly Hills, Black Jack, Breckenridge Hills, Brentwood, Bridgeton, Calverton Park, Champ, Charlack, Chesterfield, Clarkson Valley, Clayton, Cool Valley, Country Club Hills, Country Life Acres, Crestwood, Creve Coeur, Crystal Lake Park, Dellwood, Des Peres, Edmundson, Ellisville, Eureka, Fenton, Ferguson, Flordell Hills, Florissant, Frontenac, Glencoe, Glendale, Glen Echo Park, Grantwood Village, Greendale, Green Park, Hanley Hills, Hazelwood, Hillsdale, Huntleigh, Jennings, Kinloch, Kirkwood, Ladue, Lakeshire, Mackenzie, Manchester, Maplewood, Marlborough, Maryland Heights, Moline Acres, Normandy, Northwoods, Norwood Court, Oakland, Olivette, Overland, Pacific, Pagedale, Pasadena Hills, Pasadena Park, Pine Lawn, Richmond Heights, Riverview, Rock Hill, Shrewsbury, St. Ann, St. George, St. John, Sunset Hills, Sycamore Hills, Town and Country, Twin Oaks, University City, Uplands Park, Valley Park, Velda City, Velda Village Hills, Vinita Park, Vinita Terrace, Warson Woods, Webster Groves, Wellston, Westwood, Wilbur Park, Wildwood, Winchester, Woodson Terrace.
St. Louis County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process
You can search online for St. Louis County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
St. Louis County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
St. Louis Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. St. Louis Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Louis Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Louis Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
St. Louis County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of St. Louis County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Affton Historical Society, P.O. Box 28855, 7801 Genesta Avenue, Affton, MO 63123-4321; Ph: (314) 352-5654
- St. Louis Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 43010, 4 Sunnen Drive, Suite 140, St. Louis, MO 63143-0010; Ph: (314) 647-8547
- Ballwin Historical Society, 14811 Manchester Road, Ballwin, MO 63011; Ph: (636) 227-8580
- Meramec Station Historical Society, 20 Fernridge Avenue, Valley Park, MO 63088; Ph: (636) 825-2711
- General Daniel Bissell House And Fort Belle Fontaine Historic Sites, 10225 Bellefontaine Road, St. Louis, MO 63125; Ph: (314) 868-0973
- Bridgeton Historical Society, P.O. Box 922, 4201 Fee Fee Road, Bridgeton, MO 63044; Ph: (314) 739-5599
- Campbell House Foundation, 1508 Locust Str, St. Louis, MO 63103-1816; Ph: (314) 421-0325
- Kirkwood Historical Society, 302 West Argonne, P.O. Box 220602; Kirkwood, MO 63122; Ph: (314) 965-5151
- Carondelet Historical Society, 6303 Michigan Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63111; Ph: (314) 481-6303
- Normandy Area Historical Association, P.O. Box 210208, Normandy, MO 63121, Ph: (314) 383-7937
- Chatillon-DeMenil House Foundation, 3352 DeMenil Pl, St. Louis, MO 63118; Ph: (314) 771-5828
- Old Trails Historical Society, 687 Henry Avenue, Ballwin, MO 63011
- Civil War Round Table of St. Louis, 3930 Marietta Dr, Florissant, MO 63033; Ph: (314) 837-2458
- Overland Historical Society, 9711 Lackland Road, Overland, MO 63114; Ph: (314) 426-7027
- Clayton Historical Society, 50 Gay Avenue, Clayton, MO 63105; Ph: (314) 290-8501
- Concordia Historical Institute, 801 DeMun Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63105; Ph: (314) 505-7900
- St. Louis Browns Historical Society, 111 Stadium Plaza, St. Louis, MO 63102; Ph: (314) 982-7334
- Creve Coeur-Chesterfield Historical Society, 1672 Redbluff Court, St. Louis, MO 63146-3915; Ph: (314) 878-3142
- Eden Archives, 475 East Lockwood Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63119; Ph: (314) 961-3627
- St. Louis Jewish Community Archives , 12 Millstone Campus Drive, St. Louis, MO 63146; Ph: (314) 432-0020, ext. 3720
- Ferguson Historical Society, 110 Church Str, Ferguson, MO 63135-2429; Ph: (314) 521-0977
- St. Louis Mercantile Library, University of Missouri-St. Louis, Thomas Jefferson Building, 8001 Natural Bridge Road, St. Louis, MO 63121; Ph: (314) 516-7247
- St. Louis Public Library, 1301 Olive Str, St. Louis, MO 63103; Ph: (314) 241-2288
- Florissant Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 298, Florissant, MO 63032; Ph: (314) 521-1100
- St. Louis Regional Historical Societies, 2315 Woodson Road, Overland, MO 63114; Ph: (314) 427-4810
- Fort Belle Fontaine Historical Society, 10225 Bellefontaine Road, St. Louis, MO 63125; Ph: (314) 868-0973
- Sappington-Concord Historical Society, 5568 Homeward Lane, St. Louis, MO 63129; Ph: (314) 894-9555
- Shrewsbury Historical Society, 5200 Shrewsbury Ave, Shrewsbury, MO 63119; Ph: (314) 647-1003
- Soldiers Memorial and Military Museum, 1315 Chestnut Str, St. Louis, MO 63103; Ph: (314) 622-4550
- Historic Florissant, 1067 Dunn Road, Florissant, MO 63031; Ph: (314) 921-7055
- United Pentecostal Church International Historical Center,
8855 Dunn Road, Hazelwood, MO 63042; Ph: (314) 837-7300
- Historical Society of University City, 6701 Delmar Boulevard , University City, MO 63130; Ph: (314) 726-4522
- Webster Groves Historical Society, 1155 South Rock Hill Road, Webster Groves, MO 63119; Ph: (314) 968-1857
- Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, 11 North Fourth Str, St. Louis, MO 63102; Ph: (314) 655-1600
- Wildwood Historical Society, P.O. Box 125, Wildwood, MO 63040; Ph: (636) 458-3306
- Jennings Historical Society, 8720 Jennings Road, Jennings, MO 63136-1047
- Meramec Valley Genealogical and Historical Society,
c/o Scenic Library, 140 West St. Louis Str, Pacific, MO 63069; Ph: (314) 257-2712
- St. Louis County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in St. Louis County
- St. Louis County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for St. Louis County
- USGenWeb Archives for St. Louis County
St. Louis County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of St. Louis County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the St. Louis County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in St. Louis county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Note that all records of St. Louis County prior to 1876 are held by the City of St. Louis
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- St. Louis County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- St. Louis County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Address: 41 South Central Avenue, Clayton, MO 63105-1799
- Phone: (314) 615-7100 or (314) 615-7183
- Marriage Records: 1876 (including Index to marriage records, 1806-1865; Marriage records, 1808-1882)
- Land Records: 1876 (including Index to deeds, 1804-1900; Deed records, 1804-1832; CoIlet’s index to French and Spanish archives, 1766-1854; French and Spanish archives, 1803-1848; Collet’s Index, 1804-1854)
- St. Louis County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Address: 7900 Carondelet, Clayton, MO 63105
- Phone: 314-615-8029
- Probate Records: 1876
- Court & Divorce Records: 1876
- St. Louis County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Address: 12 Sunnen Dr., Maplewood, MO 63143
- Phone: (314) 615-1800
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-?
- St. Louis County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- St. Louis County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
St. Louis County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to St. Louis County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked St. Louis County genealogy or family history related sites.
St. Louis Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
St. Louis Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
St. Louis Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
St. Louis Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
St. Louis Co. MO Census Records
St. Louis Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
St. Louis Co. MO Church & Bible Records
St. Louis Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
St. Louis Co. MO General and History Websites
St. Louis Co. MO Military Records
St. Louis Co. MO Schools & Directories