St. Louis County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
St. Louis County, Missouri Facts
When was St. Louis County, MO Created?
St. Louis County was created on October 1, 1812 as one of the five original counties (reorganized August 22, 1876 when St. Louis City and St. Louis County split).
What is the County Seat of St. Louis County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Clayton and in addition the county government website is www.stlouisco.com
What counties are adjacent to St. Louis County, MO?
Bordering Counties are St. Charles County (north, northwest), Madison County, Illinois, City of St. Louis, St. Clair County, Illinois, Monroe County, Illinois, Jefferson County, Franklin County.
St. Louis County, MO Vital Records
Where can find St. Louis County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
St. Louis County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for St. Louis County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the St. Louis County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- St. Louis, Missouri Marriages, 1804-76
- St. Louis City Death Records, 1850-1902
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
St. Louis County, MO Census Records
What St. Louis County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for St. Louis County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
St. Louis Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. St. Louis Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Louis Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Louis Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
St. Louis County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
St. Louis County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the St. Louis County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of St. Louis County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the St. Louis County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
St. Louis County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for St. Louis County, MO?
A list of St. Louis County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Affton Historical Society, P.O. Box 28855, 7801 Genesta Avenue, Affton, MO 63123-4321; Ph: (314) 352-5654
- St. Louis Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 43010, 4 Sunnen Drive, Suite 140, St. Louis, MO 63143-0010; Ph: (314) 647-8547
- Ballwin Historical Society, 14811 Manchester Road, Ballwin, MO 63011; Ph: (636) 227-8580
- Meramec Station Historical Society, 20 Fernridge Avenue, Valley Park, MO 63088; Ph: (636) 825-2711
- General Daniel Bissell House And Fort Belle Fontaine Historic Sites, 10225 Bellefontaine Road, St. Louis, MO 63125; Ph: (314) 868-0973
- Bridgeton Historical Society, P.O. Box 922, 4201 Fee Fee Road, Bridgeton, MO 63044; Ph: (314) 739-5599
- Campbell House Foundation, 1508 Locust Str, St. Louis, MO 63103-1816; Ph: (314) 421-0325
- Kirkwood Historical Society, 302 West Argonne, P.O. Box 220602; Kirkwood, MO 63122; Ph: (314) 965-5151
- Carondelet Historical Society, 6303 Michigan Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63111; Ph: (314) 481-6303
- Normandy Area Historical Association, P.O. Box 210208, Normandy, MO 63121, Ph: (314) 383-7937
- Chatillon-DeMenil House Foundation, 3352 DeMenil Pl, St. Louis, MO 63118; Ph: (314) 771-5828
- Old Trails Historical Society, 687 Henry Avenue, Ballwin, MO 63011
- Civil War Round Table of St. Louis, 3930 Marietta Dr, Florissant, MO 63033; Ph: (314) 837-2458
- Overland Historical Society, 9711 Lackland Road, Overland, MO 63114; Ph: (314) 426-7027
- Clayton Historical Society, 50 Gay Avenue, Clayton, MO 63105; Ph: (314) 290-8501
- Concordia Historical Institute, 801 DeMun Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63105; Ph: (314) 505-7900
- St. Louis Browns Historical Society, 111 Stadium Plaza, St. Louis, MO 63102; Ph: (314) 982-7334
- Creve Coeur-Chesterfield Historical Society, 1672 Redbluff Court, St. Louis, MO 63146-3915; Ph: (314) 878-3142
- Eden Archives, 475 East Lockwood Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63119; Ph: (314) 961-3627
- St. Louis Jewish Community Archives , 12 Millstone Campus Drive, St. Louis, MO 63146; Ph: (314) 432-0020, ext. 3720
- Ferguson Historical Society, 110 Church Str, Ferguson, MO 63135-2429; Ph: (314) 521-0977
- St. Louis Mercantile Library, University of Missouri-St. Louis, Thomas Jefferson Building, 8001 Natural Bridge Road, St. Louis, MO 63121; Ph: (314) 516-7247
- St. Louis Public Library, 1301 Olive Str, St. Louis, MO 63103; Ph: (314) 241-2288
- Florissant Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 298, Florissant, MO 63032; Ph: (314) 521-1100
- St. Louis Regional Historical Societies, 2315 Woodson Road, Overland, MO 63114; Ph: (314) 427-4810
- Fort Belle Fontaine Historical Society, 10225 Bellefontaine Road, St. Louis, MO 63125; Ph: (314) 868-0973
- Sappington-Concord Historical Society, 5568 Homeward Lane, St. Louis, MO 63129; Ph: (314) 894-9555
- Shrewsbury Historical Society, 5200 Shrewsbury Ave, Shrewsbury, MO 63119; Ph: (314) 647-1003
- Soldiers Memorial and Military Museum, 1315 Chestnut Str, St. Louis, MO 63103; Ph: (314) 622-4550
- Historic Florissant, 1067 Dunn Road, Florissant, MO 63031; Ph: (314) 921-7055
- United Pentecostal Church International Historical Center,
8855 Dunn Road, Hazelwood, MO 63042; Ph: (314) 837-7300
- Historical Society of University City, 6701 Delmar Boulevard , University City, MO 63130; Ph: (314) 726-4522
- Webster Groves Historical Society, 1155 South Rock Hill Road, Webster Groves, MO 63119; Ph: (314) 968-1857
- Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, 11 North Fourth Str, St. Louis, MO 63102; Ph: (314) 655-1600
- Wildwood Historical Society, P.O. Box 125, Wildwood, MO 63040; Ph: (636) 458-3306
- Jennings Historical Society, 8720 Jennings Road, Jennings, MO 63136-1047
- Meramec Valley Genealogical and Historical Society,
c/o Scenic Library, 140 West St. Louis Str, Pacific, MO 63069; Ph: (314) 257-2712
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other St. Louis County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in St. Louis County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to St. Louis County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
St. Louis Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
St. Louis Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
St. Louis Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
St. Louis Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
St. Louis Co. MO General and History Websites
St. Louis Co. MO Military Records
St. Louis Co. MO Schools & Directories