Cape Girardeau County, Missouri
Cape Girardeau County was created on October 1, 1812 as one of the five original counties. The county was named in honor of Sieur de Girardot, a French officer and early explorer of the region .
The Cape Girardeau County Seat is situated in Jackson and in addition the county government website is www.capecounty.us
Areas surrounding Cape Girardeau County include Perry County (north), Union County, Illinois (northeast), Alexander County, Illinois (east), Scott County (southeast), Stoddard County (south), Bollinger County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Cape Girardeau County include Cape Girardeau, Delta, Jackson, Allenville, Dutchtown, Gordonville, Oak Ridge, Old Appleton, Pocahontas, Whitewater.
Cape Girardeau County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process
You can search online for Cape Girardeau County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Cape Girardeau County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cape Girardeau Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Cape Girardeau Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cape Girardeau Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cape Girardeau Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Cape Girardeau County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cape Girardeau County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cape Girardeau County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 389, 204 S Union Ave, Jackson, MO 63755; Phone: (573) 243-8141
- Cape Girardeau County Archive Center, 112 East Washington, Jackson, MO 63755; Phone: (573) 204-2331
- Cape River Heritage Museum, 538 Independence Street, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701;
Phone: (573) 334-0405
- Cape Girardeau County Historical Society, P.O. Box 251, Jackson, MO 63755
- Historic Association of Greater Cape Girardeau, P.O. Box 1982, 325 South Spanish, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701; Phone: (573) 334-1177
- Jackson Heritage Association, P.O. Box 352, Jackson, MO 63755
- Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cape Girardeau County
- Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cape Girardeau County
- USGenWeb Archives for Cape Girardeau County
Cape Girardeau County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Cape Girardeau County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Cape Girardeau County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Cape Girardeau County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. Courthouse was destroyed by fire July 18, 1870
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Cape Girardeau County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Barton Square, Jackson, MO 63755
- Cape Girardeau County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (573) 243-8123
- Marriage Records: 1805 (including Index to marriages, 1805-1902; Marriage records, 1805-1916)
- Land Records: 1805 (including Index to deeds, 1805-1890; Deed records, 1805-1906)
- Cape Girardeau County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573) 243-1755
- Probate Records: 1805 (including Index to probate records, 1816-1918; Probate records, 1821-1886; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1825-1936; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1865-1897; Settlement records, 1878-1902; Index to guardian’s/ curator’s records, 1820-1885; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1877-1886; Will records, 1807-1916)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1815 (including Index to circuit court records, 1815-1900; Circuit court records, 1815-1922)
- Cape Girardeau County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 243-3547
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93 (including Permanent record of births, 1890-1893; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1890; Record of deaths, 1883-1893; State census, 1868 and 1876)
- Cape Girardeau County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Cape Girardeau County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Cape Girardeau County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Cape Girardeau County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Cape Girardeau County genealogy or family history related sites.
Cape Girardeau Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cape Girardeau Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cape Girardeau Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cape Girardeau Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cape Girardeau Co. MO Census Records
Cape Girardeau Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cape Girardeau Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Cape Girardeau Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cape Girardeau Co. MO General and History Websites
Cape Girardeau Co. MO Military Records
Cape Girardeau Co. MO Schools & Directories