Saginaw County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Saginaw County, Michigan Facts
When was Saginaw County, MI Created?
Saginaw County was created on September 10, 1822 (Organized on February 9, 1835) from St. Clair County and unorganized territory . This county was named for the Native American term, perhaps having reference to the Sauk tribe who lived at the mouth of the river .
What is the County Seat of Saginaw County, MI?
The County Seat is located in Saginaw also, the county government website is www.saginawcounty.com/.
What counties are adjacent to Saginaw County, MI?
Bordering Counties are Bay County, Midland County, Tuscola County, Gratiot County, Genesee County, Shiawassee County, Clinton County..
What cities and towns are in Saginaw County, MI?
Cities and towns located in the County include Frankenmuth , Saginaw, Zilwaukee, Birch Run, Chesaning , Merrill, Oakley, St. Charles.
What Townships are in Saginaw County, MI?
Townships located in the County include Albee, Birch Run, Blumfield, Brady, Brant, Bridgeport Charter, Buena Vista Charter, Carrollton, Chapin, Chesaning, Frankenmuth , Fremont, James, Jonesfield, Kochville, Lakefield, Maple Grove, Marion, Richland, Saginaw Charter, Spaulding, St. Charles, Swan Creek, Taymouth, Thomas, Tittabawassee, Zilwaukee.
Saginaw County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Saginaw County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Saginaw County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Saginaw County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan vital records from the Michigan Christian herald
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Saginaw County, MI Census Records
What Saginaw County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Saginaw County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Saginaw Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Saginaw Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Saginaw Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Saginaw County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
Saginaw County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Saginaw County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Saginaw County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Some early records prior to organization on February 9, 1835 may be located in Oakland County
- Saginaw County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 111 South Michigan Avenue, Saginaw, MI 48602
- Saginaw County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Saginaw County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 989-790-5251
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Saginaw County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (989) 790-5270
- Land Records: 1836
- Saginaw County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (989)790-5328
- Probate Records: 1800?
- Saginaw County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (989) 790-5470
- Court Records: 1843
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Saginaw County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Saginaw County, MI?
A list of Saginaw County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Bridgeport Historical Society Of P.O. Box 117 6190 Dixie Highway Bridgeport Charter Township MI 48722; (989) 777-5230
- Cass River Genealogy Society, 359 S. Franklin, Frankenmuth MI 48734
- Chesaning Area Historical Society, 602 W. Broad St., Chesaning Mi. 48616; Phone: 989-845-3155
- Chesaning Genealogical Society, 227 East Broad St., Chesaning 48616
- Frankenmuth Historical Association, 613 South Main Street, Frankenmuth MI 48734; (989) 652-9701
- Saginaw County Historical Society, 500 Federal Avenue Saginaw MI 48607; (989) 752-2861
- Saginaw Genealogical Society, 505 Janes Ave., Saginaw 48607
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Saginaw County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Saginaw County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Saginaw County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Saginaw Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Saginaw Co. MI Cemeteries & Church Records
Saginaw Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Saginaw Co. MI General and History Websites
Saginaw Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Saginaw Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Saginaw Co. MI Military Records
Saginaw Co. MI Schools & Directories