Gogebic County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Gogebic County, Michigan Facts
When was Gogebic County, MI Created?
Gogebic County was created on February 7, 1887 from Ontonagon County. This county was named for the Chippewa "bic" which most references interpret as "rock." .
What is the County Seat of Gogebic County, MI?
The County Seat is located in Bessemer also, the county government website is www.gogebic.org/.
What counties are adjacent to Gogebic County, MI?
Bordering Counties are Ontonagon County (north), Iron County (east) Vilas County Wisconsin (south) Iron County Wisconsin (southwest).
What cities and towns are in Gogebic County, MI?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bessemer, Ironwood, Wakefield.
What Townships are in Gogebic County, MI?
Townships located in the County include Bessemer, Erwin, Ironwood, Marenisco, Wakefield, Watersmeet.
Gogebic County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Gogebic County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Gogebic County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Gogebic County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan vital records from the Michigan Christian herald
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Gogebic County, MI Census Records
What Gogebic County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Gogebic County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Gogebic Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Gogebic County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
Gogebic County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Gogebic County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Gogebic County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Gogebic County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 North Moore Street, Bessemer, MI 49911
- Gogebic County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Gogebic County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 906-663-4518
- Births & Deaths: 1887
- Marriage Records: 1887
- Gogebic County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (906) 667-0381
- Land Records: 1887
- Gogebic County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: 906-667-0421
- Probate Records: 1887
- Gogebic County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (906) 663-4211
- Court Records: 1887
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Gogebic County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Gogebic County, MI?
A list of Gogebic County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Gogebic County Historical Society P.O. Box 339 Ironwood 49938
- Gogebic Range Genealogical Society PO Box 23 Ironwood MI 49938
- Wakefield Historical Society 306 Sunday Lake Street Wakefield MI 49968; (906) 224-1045
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Gogebic County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Gogebic County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Gogebic County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Gogebic Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Gogebic Co. MI Cemeteries & Church Records
Gogebic Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Gogebic Co. MI General and History Websites
Gogebic Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Gogebic Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Gogebic Co. MI Military Records