Alger County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Alger County, Michigan Facts
When was Alger County, MI Created?
Alger County was created on March 17 1885 from Schoolcraft County. This county was named for Russell A. Alger (1836-1907):Governor of Michigan; Senator; and Secretary of War during the McKinley Administration.
What is the County Seat of Alger County, MI?
The County Seat is located in Munising also, the county government website is www.algercourthouse.com/.
What counties are adjacent to Alger County, MI?
Bordering Counties are Luce County (east), Schoolcraft County (southeast), Delta County (south), Marquette County (west)..
What cities and towns are in Alger County, MI?
Cities and towns located in the County include Munising, Chatham.
What Townships are in Alger County, MI?
Townships located in the County include Au Train, Burt, Grand Island, Limestone, Mathias, Munising, Onota, Rock River.
Alger County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Alger County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Alger County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Alger County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan vital records from the Michigan Christian herald
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Alger County, MI Census Records
What Alger County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Alger County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Alger Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Alger County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
Alger County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Alger County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Alger County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Alger County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 Court Street Munising MI 49862
- Alger County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Alger County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 906-387-2076
- Births & Deaths: 1884
- Marriage Records: 1887
- Alger County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (906)387-2076
- Land Records: 1884
- Alger County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (906) 387-2080
- Probate Records: 1889
- Alger County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (906) 387-3879
- Court Records: 1885
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Alger County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Alger County, MI?
A list of Alger County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Grand Marais Historical Society, P.O. Box 179, Grand Marais, MI 49839
- Alger County Historical Society, P.O. 1496 Washington St., Munising, MI 49862; Phone: (906) 387-4308
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Alger County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Alger County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Alger County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Alger Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Alger Co. MI Cemeteries & Church Records
Alger Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Alger Co. MI General and History Websites
Alger Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Alger Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Alger Co. MI Military Records