Baltimore City, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
Baltimore City, Maryland Facts
When was Baltimore City, MD Created?
Baltimore City was created on May 13 1851 from Baltimore County (City founded in 1729). This county was named in honor of Cæcilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore, first proprietor of the Maryland colony.
What is the County Seat of Baltimore City, MD?
The County Seat is located in Baltimore City additionally, the county government website is www.baltimorecity.gov/
Baltimore City, MD Vital Records
Where can find Baltimore City Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Baltimore City vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Maryland Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Verification, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Maryland Marriage Project
- Maryland, Births and Christenings, 1650-1995
- Maryland, Births and Christenings Index, 1662-1911
- Maryland, Marriages, 1666-1970
- Maryland Marriages, 1667-1899
- Maryland Marriages, 1655-1850
- Maryland Marriages, 1778-1800
- Maryland Marriages, 1801-1820
- Maryland Marriages, 1634-1777
- Maryland, Deaths and Burials, 1877-1992
Baltimore City, MD Census Records
What Baltimore City, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Baltimore City guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Baltimore City Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allegany Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allegany Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
Baltimore City, MD Courthouse and Government Records
Baltimore City Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Baltimore City Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Baltimore City. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Maryland Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Baltimore City Hall (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 N. Holliday Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21202
- Baltimore City Circuit Court Clerk is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 410- 333-3722
- Marriage Records: 1851
- Land Records: 1851
- Baltimore City Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk responsibilities include supervising Clerk's office personnel in the civil, criminal, courtroom clerks, business license, marriage license, land records, and juvenile units.
- Address: 111 North Calvert Street - 3rd Floor, Baltimore, Maryland 21202
- Phone: (410) 752-5131 or (888) 876-0035
- Probate Records: 1851
- Baltimore City Government Records are available in original, microfilm and digital formats from the Maryland State Archives
- Records of the city of Baltimore : (Special Commissioners) 1782 to 1797
- Baltimore, Maryland Tax Records Index, 1798-1808
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
Baltimore City, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Baltimore City, MD?
A list of Baltimore City Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
Where can I connect with other Allegany County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Allegany County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Allegany County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Baltimore City MD Books, Newspapers & Publications
Baltimore City MD Cemeteries & Graveyards
- Maryland Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Baltimore, Maryland, Loudon Park National Cemetery, 1862-2010 (search.ancestry.com)
- Green Mount Cemetery one hundredth anniversary : 1838-1938. (search.ancestry.com)
- Baltimore, Maryland, Deaths and Burials Index, 1877-1992 (search.ancestry.com)
- A Record of Interments at the Friends Burial Ground, Baltimore, Maryland (search.ancestry.com)
- Baltimore City, Maryland Graves (findagrave.com)
- Baltimore City Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Baltimore City, Maryland Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Coalition to Protect Maryland Burial Sites (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Baltimore City, Maryland Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
Baltimore City MD Church & Bible Records
Baltimore City MD General and History Websites
Baltimore City MD General and History Websites
Baltimore City MD Immigration & Naturalization
- See Also Statewide Immigration and Naturalization Links for Maryland
- Baltimore Passenger Lists, 1820-1948 (search.ancestry.com)
- Baltimore Passenger and Immigration Lists, 1820-1872 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore Steamship Arrivals, 1890-1930 (search.ancestry.com)
- Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Baltimore, 1820-1834 (search.ancestry.com)
- Maryland, Baltimore Passenger Lists, 1820-1948 (familysearch.org)
- Naturalization Petitions of the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, 1906-1930 (fold3.com)
- Indexes to Naturalization Petitions to the U.S. Circuit and District Courts for Maryland, 1797-1951 (fold3.com)
- Maryland, Naturalization Indexes, 1797-1951 (familysearch.org)
Baltimore City MD Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Baltimore City MD Military Records
Baltimore City MD Schools & Directories