Orleans Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Orleans Parish was created on March 31, 1807 as one of the original 19 parishes. (originally created on April 10, 1805 as Orleans County, Louisana Territory as one of the original 12 counties, coterminous with the City of New Orleans). The parish was named for the Duke of Orléans, the regent of France .
The Orleans Parish Seat can be found in New Orleans (founded about 1718) and the parish government website is www.nola.gov/
Regions bordering Orleans Parish include St. Tammany Parish (north), St. Bernard (southeast), Plaquemines Parish (southeast), and Jefferson Parish (southwest).
Cities and towns found in Orleans Parish are made up of New Orleans.
Orleans Parish vital records can be found at the Louisiana Office of Vital Records which copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Louisiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Orleans Parish Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Louisiana Birth or Death Certificate Application to mail.
Orleans Parish consists of Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Orleans Co. Slave Schedules can be found for 1850 & 1860. Orleans Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orleans Co. Industry and Agriculture can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orleans Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
Orleans Parish Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Orleans Parish Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Orleans Parish Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget the significance of Orleans Parish court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Louisiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and worries of countless Louisiana people.
The chances are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least some facets of their lives in the Orleans Parish court records. Even if your forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
The below specifics denotes exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and courtroom records are usually in Orleans Parish. The dates indicated below are considered the first known documents with this parish.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will aid individuals in obtaining the resources, but it is up to the man or women to do the researching.
- Orleans Parish Clerk of Court performs the functions of more than one office. As the Recorder, the office of the Clerk of Court receives, files, records and indexes all mortgages, conveyances and all other instruments recorded in the Public Records for the Parish. The Clerk’s Office receives and files all pleadings, such as petitions, answers, motions and other filings in Civil and Probate matters, as well as indictments, bills of information and other filings in Criminal matters. Another function of the Clerk’s Office is the issuance of Marriage Licenses and recording their returns after the marriages are performed.
- Orleans - Civil District: 421 Loyola Avenue, Room 402, New Orleans, LA 70112; (504) 592-9100
- Orleans - Criminal District: 2700 Tulane Avenue, Room 114, New Orleans, LA 70119; Phone: (504) 658-9000
- Orleans - 1st City Court: 421 Loyola Avenue, Room 201, New Orleans, LA 70112; (504) 592-9155
- Orleans - 2nd City Court: 225 Morgan Street, Room 206, New Orleans, LA 70114; (504) 368-4245
- Marriage Records: 1718
- Land Records: 1832
- Probate Records: 1805
- Court Records: 1805
Orleans Parish Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Orleans Parish. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is merely a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own preferred Orleans Parish genealogy or family history related sites.
Orleans Parish LA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Orleans Parish LA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates in Louisiana
- Louisiana Vital Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Louisiana, Orleans Parish Vital Records, 1910, 1960 (familysearch.org)
- New Orleans, Louisiana, Marriage Records Index, 1831-1920 (search.ancestry.com) This database is an index to marriage records for New Orleans (which is coextensive with Orleans Parish) between the years 1831-1925
- Orleans Parish Birth Records Index (sos.la.gov)
- New Orleans, Louisiana, Death Records Index, 1804-1949 (search.ancestry.com) This database is an index to death records for New Orleans (which is coextensive with Orleans Parish) between the years 1804-1949
- New Orleans, Louisiana Birth Records Index, 1790-1899 (search.ancestry.com) This database is an index to birth records for New Orleans (which is coextensive with Orleans Parish) between the years 1790-1899
- New Orleans Deaths, 1840-1970 (search.ancestry.com) Taken from small local newspapers, some published over a century ago, this database lists deaths for over 2700 residents of the area between 1840 and 1970
- Orleans Parish Marriage Records Index (sos.la.gov)
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Orleans Parish LA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Orleans Parish LA Census Records
Orleans Parish LA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Orleans Parish LA Church & Bible Records
Orleans Parish LA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Orleans Parish LA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Louisiana
- Orleans Parish, Louisiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Historical sketch book & guide to New Orleans (search.ancestry.com)
- The Creoles of Louisiana (search.ancestry.com)
- The Manhattaner in New Orleans, or, Phases of Crescent City life (search.ancestry.com)
- The industries of New Orleans : her rank, resources, advantages, trade, commerce and manufactures, conditions of the past, pres (search.ancestry.com)
- Geschichte der Deutschen Gesellschaft von New Orleans (in German) (search.ancestry.com)
- Orleans Parish, Louisiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Orleans Parish LA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Orleans Parish, Louisiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Louisiana - Parishes - Orleans (cyndislist.com)
- Orleans Parish Louisiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Orleans Parish LAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Orleans Parish Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Orleans Parish Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Orleans Parish LA Immigration & Naturalization
Orleans Parish LA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Orleans Parish LA Military Records
Orleans Parish LA Schools & Directories