Webster County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Webster County, Kentucky Facts
When was Webster County, KY Created?
Webster County was created on July 1, 1860 from Hopkins County, Union County and Henderson County. Currently the county was named in honor of Daniel Webster, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts and United States Secretary of State (1841–1843; 1850–1852) .
What is the County Seat of Webster County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Dixon additionally, the county government website is www.webstercountyky.com
What counties are adjacent to Webster County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Henderson County, McLean County, Hopkins County (south & east), Caldwell County, Crittenden County, Union County.
What cities and towns are in Webster County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Clay, Dixon, Providence, Sebree, Slaughters, Wheatcroft.
Webster County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Webster County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Webster County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Webster County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Webster County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Webster County, KY Census Records
What Webster County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Webster County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Webster Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Webster Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Webster Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Webster Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Webster County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Webster County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Webster County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Webster County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Webster County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Dixon, KY, 42409
- Phone: (270) 639-7006
- Marriage Records: 1860
- Land Records: 1860
- Probate Records: 1860
- Webster County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Webster County Judicial Center, 35 U.S. Highway 41A S., P.O. Box 290, Dixon, KY 42409-0290
- Phone: (270) 639-9160
- Court Records: 1860
- Webster County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Webster County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Webster County USGenWeb Archives Project
Webster County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Webster County, KY?
A list of Webster County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Webster County Historical & Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 215,
Dixon KY 42409-0215
Where can I connect with other Webster County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Webster County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Webster County
- Webster County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYWEBSTE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Webster County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Webster County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Webster County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Webster Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Webster Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Webster Co. KY General and History Websites
Webster Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Webster Co. KY Military Records