Union County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Union County, Kentucky Facts
When was Union County, KY Created?
Union County was created on January 15, 1811 from Henderson County. Currently the county was named for the unanimous decision of the residents to united together and create a new county .
What is the County Seat of Union County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Morganfield additionally, the county government website is unioncounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Union County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Posey County, Indiana (north), Henderson County (northeast), Webster County (southeast), Crittenden County (south), Hardin County, Illinois (west), Gallatin County, Illinois (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Union County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Breckinridge Center, Morganfield, Sturgis, Uniontown, Waverly, Sullivan.
Union County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Union County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Union County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Union County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Union County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Union County, KY Census Records
What Union County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Union County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Union Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Union Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Union County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Union County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Union County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Union County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Union County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Morganfield, KY, 42437
- Phone: (270) 389-1334
- Marriage Records: 1811
- Land Records: 1811
- Probate Records: 1811
- Union County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Union County Courthouse Annex, 121 S. Morgan St., P.O. Box 59, Morganfield, KY 42437-0059
- Phone: (270) 389-2264
- Court Records: 1823
- Union County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Union County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Union County USGenWeb Archives Project
Union County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Union County, KY?
A list of Union County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Union County Historical Society, 5 Congress Drive, Morganfield KY 42437
Where can I connect with other Union County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Union County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Union County
- Union County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYUNION. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Union County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Union County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Union County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Union Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Union Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Union Co. KY General and History Websites
- Union County Kentucky (genealogytrails.com)
- Union County First, the local economic development and tourism office for Union County, Kentucky (ucky.org)
- History of Union County, Kentucky : a complete account of the settlement, organization, and government of the county, together (search.ancestry.com)
- Union County, past and present (search.ancestry.com)
- Union County, KY History (kyenc.org) The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Union County, Kentucky Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Union County, Kentucky Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Union Co. KY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Union County, Kentucky (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Kentucky - Counties - Union (cyndislist.com)
- Union Co. KYGenweb (comcast.net)
- Union County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Union Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Union Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Union Co. KY Military Records