Union County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Union County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Union Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Union County was established on January 15, 1811 from Henderson County. Currently the county was named for the unanimous decision of the residents to united together and create a new county .
Currently the Union County Seat is situated in Morganfield additionally, the county government website is unioncounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Union County happen to be Posey County, Indiana (north), Henderson County (northeast), Webster County (southeast), Crittenden County (south), Hardin County, Illinois (west), Gallatin County, Illinois (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Union County comprise of Breckinridge Center, Morganfield, Sturgis, Uniontown, Waverly, Sullivan.
Union County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Union Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Union Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Union County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Union County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Union County Historical Society, 5 Congress Drive, Morganfield KY 42437
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Union County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Union County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Union County
- Union County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Union County
- KYUNION. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Union County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Union County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Union County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Union County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Union County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Union County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Morganfield, KY, 42437
- Phone: (270) 389-1334
- Marriage Records: 1811
- Land Records: 1811
- Probate Records: 1811
- Union County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Union County Courthouse Annex, 121 S. Morgan St., P.O. Box 59, Morganfield, KY 42437-0059
- Phone: (270) 389-2264
- Court Records: 1823
- Union County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Union County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Union County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Union County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Union County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Union Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Union Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Union Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Union Co. KY Census Records
Union Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Union Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Union Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Union Co. KY General and History Websites
- Union County Kentucky (genealogytrails.com)
- Union County First, the local economic development and tourism office for Union County, Kentucky (ucky.org)
- History of Union County, Kentucky : a complete account of the settlement, organization, and government of the county, together (search.ancestry.com)
- Union County, past and present (search.ancestry.com)
- Union County, KY History (kyenc.org) The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Union County, Kentucky Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Union County, Kentucky Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Union Co. KY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Union County, Kentucky (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Kentucky - Counties - Union (cyndislist.com)
- Union Co. KYGenweb (comcast.net)
- Union County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Union Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Union Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Union Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Union Co. KY Military Records