Knott County, Kentucky
Knott County was established on May 5, 1884 from Perry County, Breathitt County, Floyd County and Letcher County. Currently the county was named in honor of James Proctor Knott, twenty-ninth Governor of Kentucky (1883–1887).
Currently the Knott County Seat is situated in Hindman additionally, the county government website is www.knottky.com
Locations adjacent to Knott County happen to be Magoffin County (north), Floyd County (northeast), Pike County (east), Letcher County (south), Perry County (southwest), Breathitt County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Knott County comprise of Hindman, Pippa Passes, Hollybush.
Knott County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Knott County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
Knott County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Knott Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Knott County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Knott County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Knott County Historical & Genealogical Society, Library & Musuem, Inc., 147 Carew Drive
Hindman, KY 41822-8657; (606) 785-5751; Open 24 hours, 7 days a week by appointment only.
- Knott County Historical Society
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Knott County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Knott County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Knott County
- Knott County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Knott County
- KYKNOTT. A mailing list for anyone with a historical or genealogical interest in Knott County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KY-KNOTT-COUNTY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Knott County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KY-KNOTTHISSOC. A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding the activities of the Knott County (Kentucky) Historical Society, and genealogical resources available in the Knott County area. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Knott County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Knott County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Knott County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Knott County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Knott County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: P.O. Box 446, Hindman, KY, 41822
- Phone: (606) 785-0996
- Marriage Records: 1884
- Land Records: 1883
- Probate Records: 1891
- Knott County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Knott County Justice Center, 100 Justice Drive, P.O. Box 1317, Hindman, KY 41822-1317
- Phone: (606) 785-5021
- Court Records: 1888
- Knott County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Knott County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
Knott County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Knott County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Knott County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Knott Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Knott Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Knott Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Knott Co. KY Census Records
Knott Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Knott Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Knott Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Knott Co. KY General and History Websites
Knott Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Knott Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Knott Co. KY Military Records