Crittenden County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Crittenden County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Crittenden Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Crittenden County was established on April 1, 1842 from Livingston County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Jordan Crittenden, seventeenth Governor of Kentucky (1848–1850) .
Currently the Crittenden County Seat is situated in Marion additionally, the county government website is www.the-press.com/county.html
Locations adjacent to Crittenden County happen to be Union County (north), Webster County (northeast), Caldwell County (southeast), Lyon County (south), Livingston County (west), Hardin County, Illinois (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Crittenden County comprise of Dycusburg, Marion.
Crittenden County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Crittenden Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Crittenden Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Crittenden Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Crittenden Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Crittenden County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Crittenden County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Crittenden County Genealogical Society 204 West Carlisle Street, P.O. Box 61, Marion, KY 42064; Marion, KY 42064, 270.965.4298; People who are interested in finding their Crittenden County roots, will find the Crittenden County Genealogical Society an excellent place to start. The Society meets on the second Saturday of each month at 10:00 a.m. at the Crittenden County Library meeting room, 204 West Carlisle Street in Marion. Everyone is invited to attend the meetings. The Genealogical Society publishes a quarterly newsletter entitled, "Crittenden County Ancestors", for their members. For more information you may contact Fay Carol Crider at 270.965.4298, or Brenda Underdown at 270.965.2082.
- Crittenden County Historical Society, P.O. Box 25, Marion KY 42064
- KYCRITTE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Crittenden County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Crittenden County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Crittenden County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Crittenden County
- Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Crittenden County
Crittenden County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Crittenden County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Crittenden County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Crittenden county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The courthouse was burned by guerillas on 25 Jan 1865 destroying some records. More records were destroyed in a fire which occurred in May 1870.
- Crittendend County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 107 South Main Street, Marion, KY, 42064
- Phone: (270) 965-3403
- Marriage Records: 1842
- Land Records: 1842
- Probate Records: 1833
- Crittenden County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Crittenden County Courthouse, 107 S. Main St., Suite 202, Marion, KY 42064
- Phone: (270) 965-4200
- Court Records: 1842
- Crittenden County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Crittenden County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Crittenden County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Crittenden County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Crittenden County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Crittenden Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Crittenden Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Crittenden Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Crittenden Co. KY Census Records
Crittenden Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Crittenden Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Crittenden Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Crittenden Co. KY General and History Websites
Crittenden Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Crittenden Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Crittenden Co. KY Military Records