Woodbury County, Iowa
Woodbury County was established on January 15, 1851 (Organized in 1853) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Levi Woodbury (1789–1851), a governor of New Hampshire, United States Secretary of the Navy, United States Secretary of the Treasury, and Justice of the United States Supreme Court
The County Seat is located in Sioux City and the county government website is http://www.woodburyiowa.com
Areas adjacent to Woodbury County are Plymouth County (north), Cherokee County (northeast), Ida County (east), Monona County (south), Thurston County, Nebraska (southwest), Dakota County, Nebraska (west), Union County, South Dakota (northwest).
Cities and towns located in the Woodbury county include Anthon, Bronson, Correctionville, Cushing, Danbury, Hornick, Lawton, Moville, Oto, Pierson, Salix, Sergeant Bluff, Sioux City, Sloan, Smithland.
Woodbury County vital records can be found at the Iowa Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Woodbury County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Iowa Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Woodbury County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Woodbury Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Woodbury Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Woodbury Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Woodbury County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Woodbury County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Woodbury County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget the importance of Woodbury County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogy and family history information and facts. Buried away in Iowa courthouses and archives everywhere could be the desires and frustrations of countless Iowa residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the Woodbury County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will help persons in locating the materials, but it's up to the person to undertake the basic research.
The following details shows what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records will be in Woodbury County. The years indicated below tend to be the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Woodbury County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 620 Douglas St, Sioux City, IA 51101
- Phone: (712) 279-6528
- Woodbury County Recorder's Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder's Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder's Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder's Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Birth / Death Records: 1880
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Land Records: 1855
- Woodbury County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Probate Records: 1856
- Court Records: 1900?
- Woodbury County Tax Assessor is responsible for assess and appraise all real estate and personal property, to have access to all public records of the county for the purpose of securing information pertaining to accurate listings of taxable property.
Woodbury County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Woodbury County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own preferred Woodbury County genealogy or family history related sites.
Woodbury Co. IA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Iowa Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Historical Newspapers from Iowa (1837 - 1900) (genealogybank.com) Immediately identify names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements along with other items written and published in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Unique articles and other content added monthly!
- Sioux Valley News (Correctionville, Iowa) (search.ancestry.com)
- Correctionville News (Correctionville, Iowa) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Correctionville Argus (Correctionville, Iowa) (search.ancestry.com)
- Barometern (Sioux City, Iowa) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Sioux City Sunday Journal (Sioux City, Iowa) (search.ancestry.com)
- Woodbury County, Iowa Books (amazon.com)
- Search Iowa Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Iowa Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
- Woodbury County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Woodbury Co. IA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Iowa
- Iowa Vital Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 - 1900 (archives.com)
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008 (archives.com)
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950 (familysearch.org) Name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state of Iowa. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935 (familysearch.org) Index to the birth records created by the counties of Iowa. Additional records will be added as they are completed.
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900 (search.ancestry.com) Taken from microfilm copies of original county documents, each record provides spouses' names, marriage date, and county of residence. Records vary between counties.
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 (familysearch.org) Name indexes for county marriages in Iowa. Additional records will be added as they are completed.
- Iowa Marriages to 1850 (search.ancestry.com) This database of Iowa marriages to 1850 contains over 21,000 names. Each entry includes groom, bride, marriage date, county, and state. Every name is indexed so you can search for one name, or two names that are linked.
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990 (familysearch.org) Name index to death and burial records from the state of Iowa. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Woodbury Co. IA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Woodbury Co. IA Census Records
- See Also Statewide Census Records and Links for Iowa
- Iowa Census Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Woodbury County, IA Census Records (census-online.com)
- Iowa Census Images Project (iagenweb.org)
- Iowa State Census Collection, 1836-1925 (search.ancestry.com) This database contains Iowa state censuses for the following years: 1856, 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915, and 1925. It also includes some head of household censuses and other special censuses from 1836-1897. Information available for an individual will vary according to the census year and the information requested on the census form. Some of the information contained in this database though includes: name, age, gender, race, birthplace, marital status, and place of enumeration.
- Woodbury County, IA Census QuickFacts (quickfacts.census.gov)
- Iowa Census, 1838-70 (search.ancestry.com) This collection contains the following indexes: 1838 Territorial Census; 1840 Federal Census Index; 1840 Pensioners List; 1841-1849 Tax Lists; 1850 Federal Census Index; 1851 State Census Index; 1852 State Census Index; 1860 Federal Census Index; 1870 Federal Census Index.
Woodbury Co. IA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Woodbury Co. IA Church & Bible Records
Woodbury Co. IA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Woodbury Co. IA General and History Websites
Woodbury Co. IA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Woodbury Co. IA Military Records
- Iowa Military Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Iowa Military Records (fold3.com) provides you with easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Iowa both males and females which served. Just the thing for Woodbury County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
- Iowa Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines, 1885 (search.ancestry.com) This database contains a list of ex-soldiers, sailors, and marines who were living in Iowa in 1885.
Woodbury Co. IA Schools & Directories