Woodford County, Illinois
Genealogy and Facts
Woodford County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Woodford Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Woodford County was founded on February 27, 1841 from McLean County and Tazewell County. This county was named for Gen. William Woodford (1734-1780), brigadier general in the American Revolutionary War who died while a British prisoner .
The Woodford County Seat is located in Eureka (prior county seats was Versailles from 1841–1843, Metamora from 1843–1894) also, the county government website is www.woodford-county.org .
Areas bordering to Woodford County are Marshall County (north), LaSalle County (northeast), Livingston County (east), McLean County (southeast), Tazewell County (southwest), Peoria County (west)
Cities, Towns & Villages located in Woodford County include Bay View Gardens, Benson, Cazenovia, Congerville, El Paso, Eureka, Germantown Hills, Goodfield, Kappa, Lowpoint, Metamora, Minonk, Panola, Roanoke, Secor, Spring Bay, Washburn.
Townships located in Woodford County include Linn, Kansas, El Paso, Greene, Clayton, Cazenovia, Cruger, Olio, Palestine, Panola, Partridge, Metamora, Montgomery, Minonk, Spring Bay, Roanoke, Worth.
Woodford County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Woodford Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Woodford Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Woodford Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Woodford County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Woodford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Woodford County Courthouse and Government Records
Woodford County Courthouse
frequently fail to notice the significance of Woodford County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Woodford County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Woodford County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
- Woodford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 115 N. Main, Eureka, IL 61530
- Woodford County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 309-467-2822
- Marriage Records: 1841
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1831
- Woodford County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 309-467-3312
- Probate Records: 1841
- Court Records: 1841
- Woodford County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Woodford County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Woodford County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Woodford County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Woodford Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Woodford Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Woodford Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Woodford Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Woodford Co. IL Census Records
Woodford Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Woodford Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Woodford Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Woodford Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Woodford County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Woodford County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- The Past and present of Woodford County, Illinois : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, &c., a directory of (search.ancestry.com)
- The Biographical record of Livingston and Woodford Counties, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Woodford County, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prom (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Woodford County (search.ancestry.com)
- The Woodford County history : Woodford County Board of Supervisors--1968 (search.ancestry.com)
- Woodford County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Woodford Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Woodford County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Woodford (cyndislist.com)
- Woodford County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Woodford Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Woodford County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Woodford Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Woodford Co. IL Military Records
Woodford Co. IL Schools & Directories