Woodford County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Woodford County, Illinois Facts
When was Woodford County, IL Created?
Woodford County was established on February 27, 1841 from McLean County and Tazewell County. This county was named for Gen. William Woodford (1734-1780), brigadier general in the American Revolutionary War who died while a British prisoner .
What is the County Seat of Woodford County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Eureka (prior county seats was Versailles from 1841–1843, Metamora from 1843–1894) also, the county government website is www.woodford-county.org .
What counties are adjacent to Woodford County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Marshall County, LaSalle County, Livingston County, McLean County, Tazewell County, Peoria County
What cities and towns are in Woodford County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bay View Gardens, Benson, Cazenovia, Congerville, El Paso, Eureka, Germantown Hills, Goodfield, Kappa, Lowpoint, Metamora, Minonk, Panola, Roanoke, Secor, Spring Bay, Washburn.
What Townships are in Woodford County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Linn, Kansas, El Paso, Greene, Clayton, Cazenovia, Cruger, Olio, Palestine, Panola, Partridge, Metamora, Montgomery, Minonk, Spring Bay, Roanoke, Worth.
Woodford County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Woodford County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Woodford County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Woodford County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Woodford County, IL Census Records
What Woodford County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Woodford County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Woodford Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Woodford Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Woodford Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Woodford County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Woodford County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Woodford County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Woodford County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Woodford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 115 N. Main, Eureka, IL 61530
- Woodford County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 309-467-2822
- Marriage Records: 1841
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1831
- Woodford County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 309-467-3312
- Probate Records: 1841
- Court Records: 1841
- Woodford County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Woodford County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Woodford County, IL?
A list of Woodford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Lexington Genealogical & Historical Society, Inc. 318 West Main Street, Lexington, Illinois 61753; Phone: 309-365-4591
- Illinois State University, Campus Box 5500, Normal, IL 61790-5500; (309) 452-6027
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Woodford County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Woodford County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Woodford County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Woodford Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Woodford Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Woodford Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Woodford Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Woodford Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Woodford County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Woodford County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- The Past and present of Woodford County, Illinois : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, &c., a directory of (search.ancestry.com)
- The Biographical record of Livingston and Woodford Counties, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Woodford County, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prom (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Woodford County (search.ancestry.com)
- The Woodford County history : Woodford County Board of Supervisors--1968 (search.ancestry.com)
- Woodford County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Woodford Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Woodford County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Woodford (cyndislist.com)
- Woodford County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Woodford Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Woodford County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Woodford Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Woodford Co. IL Military Records
Woodford Co. IL Schools & Directories