Winnebago County, Illinois
Winnebago County was founded on January 16, 1836 from unorganized land and JoDaviess County. This county was named for the Winnebago Native Americans .
The Winnebago County Seat is located in Rockford (prior county seats was Winnebago from1836–1839) also, the county government website is www.co.winnebago.il.us/ .
Areas bordering to Winnebago County are Rock County, WI (north), Boone County (east), DeKalb County (southeast), Ogle County (south), Stephenson County (west), Green County, WI (northwest)
Cities, Towns & Villages located in Winnebago County include Argyle, Cherry Valley, Durand, Harrison, Lake Summerset, Loves Park, Machesney Park, New Millford, Pecatonica, Rockford, Rockton, Roscoe, Seward, Shirland, South Beloit, Winnebago.
Townships located in Winnebago County include Laona, Harlem, Harrison, Burritt, Cherry Valley, Durand, Pecatonica, Owen, Seward, Shirland, Rockford, Rockton, Roscoe, Winnebago.
Winnebago County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Winnebago County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Winnebago County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Winnebago Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Winnebago Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Winnebago Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Winnebago County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Winnebago County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Illinois (raogk.org)
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kishwaukee Genealogists, P.O. Box 5503, Rockford, IL 61125
- Winnebago & Boone Counties Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10166, Rockford, Illinois 61131-0166
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Winnebago County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Winnebago County
- Winnebago County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Winnebago County
- USGenWeb Archives for Winnebago County
Winnebago County Courthouse and Government Records
Winnebago County Courthouse
frequently fail to notice the significance of Winnebago County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Winnebago County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Winnebago County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
- Winnebago County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 400 W. State St., Rockford, IL 61101
- Winnebago County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Address: 404 Elm St., Rockford, IL 61101
- Phone: 815-987-3050
- Marriage Records: 1836
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Winnebago County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Address: 404 Elm St., Rockford, IL 61101
- Phone: 815-987-3100
- Land Records: 1836
- Winnebago County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 815-987-2510
- Probate Records: 1837
- Court Records: 1836
- Winnebago County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
Winnebago County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Winnebago County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Winnebago County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Winnebago Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Winnebago Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Winnebago Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Winnebago Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Winnebago Co. IL Census Records
Winnebago Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Winnebago Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Winnebago Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Winnebago Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Winnebago County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Winnebago County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- Past and present of the city of Rockford and Winnebago County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- The History of Winnebago County, Ill. : its past and present : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, etc., a b (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Rockford and Winnebago County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Winnebago County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Winnebago Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Winnebago County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Winnebago (cyndislist.com)
- Winnebago County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Winnebago Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Winnebago County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Winnebago Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Winnebago Co. IL Military Records