Vermilion County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Vermilion County, Illinois Facts
When was Vermilion County, IL Created?
Vermilion County was established on January 18, 1826 from Edgar County and Clark County. This county was named for the Vermilion River .
What is the County Seat of Vermilion County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Danville (prior county seats was held at the home of James Butler and Asa Elliott from 1826–1827) also, the county government website is www.co.vermilion.il.us .
What counties are adjacent to Vermilion County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Iroquois County (north), Benton County, Indiana (northeast), Warren County, Indiana (east), Vermillion County, Indiana (east), Edgar County (south), Douglas County (southwest), Champaign County (west), Ford County (northwest)
What cities and towns are in Vermilion County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Danville, Hoopeston, Georgetown, Allerton, Sidell, Alvin, Bismarck, Rossville, Tilton, Belgium, Westville, Ridge Farm.
What Townships are in Vermilion County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Jamaica, Elwood, Georgetown, Grant, Blount, Butler, Carroll, Catlin, Danville, Pilot, Oakwood, Middlefork, McKendree, Love, Newell, South Ross, Sidell, Ross, Vance.
Vermilion County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Vermilion County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Vermilion County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Vermilion County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Vermilion County, IL Census Records
What Vermilion County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Vermilion County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Vermilion Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Vermilion Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Vermilion Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Vermilion County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Vermilion County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Vermilion County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Vermilion County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Some records lost or damaged in a fire on 1872
- Vermilion County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 6 N. Vermilion, Danville, IL 61832–5879
- Vermilion County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Phone: 217-431-2607
- Marriage Records: 1826
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- ????? County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-431-2604
- Land Records:1826
- Vermilion County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-431-2540
- Probate Records: 1826
- Court Records: 1826
- Vermilion County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Vermilion County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Vermilion County, IL?
A list of Vermilion County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Catlin Historical Society, 210 North Paris, Catlin, Illinois 61817; 217-427-5766
- Illiana Genealogical & Historical Society, 215 W. North St., Danville, Illinois
- Illinois State University, Campus Box 5500, Normal, IL 61790-5500; (309) 452-6027
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Vermilion County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Vermilion County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Vermilion County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Vermilion Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Vermilion Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Vermilion Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Vermilion Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Vermilion Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Vermilion County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Vermilion County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of Vermilion County, Illinois : a tale of its evolution, settlement, and progress for nearly a century (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Vermilion County : together with historic notes on the Northwest, gleaned from early authors, old maps and manuscrip (search.ancestry.com)
- The past and present of Vermilion County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Vermilion and Edgar Counties, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical ske (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Vermilion County, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of pro (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermilion County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Vermilion Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Vermilion County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Vermilion (cyndislist.com)
- Vermilion County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Vermilion Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Vermilion County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Vermilion Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Vermilion Co. IL Military Records
Vermilion Co. IL Schools & Directories