Stephenson County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Stephenson County, Illinois Facts
When was Stephenson County, IL Created?
Stephenson County was established on March 4, 1837 from Jo Daviess County and Winnebago County. This county was named for Benjamin Stephenson (1769-1822), representative of Illinois Territory in the United States Congress from 1814 to 1816 .
What is the County Seat of Stephenson County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Freeport also, the county government website is www.co.stephenson.il.us .
What counties are adjacent to Stephenson County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Green County, WI (north), Winnebago County (east), Ogle County (southeast), Carroll County (southwest), Jo Daviess County (west), Lafayette County, WI (northwest)
What cities and towns are in Stephenson County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Cedarville, Dakota, Davis, Freeport, German Valley, Lake Summerset, Lena, Orangeville, Pearl City, Ridott, Rock City, Winslow.
What Townships are in Stephenson County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Lancaster, Kent, Harlem, Jefferson, Florence, Erin, Freeport, Buckeye, Dakota, Oneco, Loran, Silver Creek, Rock Run, Rock Grove, Ridott, Waddams, West Point, Winslow.
Stephenson County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Stephenson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Stephenson County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Stephenson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Stephenson County, IL Census Records
What Stephenson County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Stephenson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Stephenson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Stephenson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Stephenson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Stephenson County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Stephenson County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Stephenson County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Stephenson County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Stephenson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 15 N. Galena Ave., Freeport, IL 61032
- Stephenson County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 815-235-8289
- Marriage Records: 1837
- Birth & Death Records: 1878
- Land Records: 1837
- Stephenson County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 815-235-8266
- Probate Records: 1837
- Court Records: 1837
- Stephenson County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Stephenson County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Stephenson County, IL?
A list of Stephenson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Lena Area Historical Society, PO Box 620, Lena IL 61048
- Stephenson County Genealogical Society, PO Box 514, Freeport IL 61032
- Stephenson County Historical Society, 1440 South Carroll Avenue, Freeport, Illinois 61032; Phone: (815) 232-8419
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Stephenson County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Stephenson County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Stephenson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Stephenson Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Stephenson Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Stephenson Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Stephenson Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Stephenson Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Stephenson County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Stephenson County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of Stephenson County, Illinois : a record of its settlement, organization, and three-quarters of a century of progress (search.ancestry.com)
- The History of Stephenson County, Illinois : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, &c., biographical sketches (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Stephenson County, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of pr (search.ancestry.com)
- In the foot-prints of the pioneers of Stephenson County, Illinois : a genealogical record. (search.ancestry.com)
- Stephenson County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Stephenson Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Stephenson County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Stephenson (cyndislist.com)
- Stephenson County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Stephenson Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Stephenson County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Stephenson Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Stephenson Co. IL Military Records
Stephenson Co. IL Schools & Directories