Stephenson County, Illinois
Stephenson County was founded on March 4, 1837 from Jo Daviess County and Winnebago County. This county was named for Benjamin Stephenson (1769-1822), representative of Illinois Territory in the United States Congress from 1814 to 1816 .
The Stephenson County Seat is located in Freeport also, the county government website is www.co.stephenson.il.us .
Areas bordering to Stephenson County are Green County, WI (north), Winnebago County (east), Ogle County (southeast), Carroll County (southwest), Jo Daviess County (west), Lafayette County, WI (northwest)
Cities, Towns & Villages located in Stephenson County include Cedarville, Dakota, Davis, Freeport, German Valley, Lake Summerset, Lena, Orangeville, Pearl City, Ridott, Rock City, Winslow.
Townships located in Stephenson County include Lancaster, Kent, Harlem, Jefferson, Florence, Erin, Freeport, Buckeye, Dakota, Oneco, Loran, Silver Creek, Rock Run, Rock Grove, Ridott, Waddams, West Point, Winslow.
Stephenson County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Stephenson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Stephenson County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Stephenson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Stephenson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Stephenson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Stephenson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Stephenson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Illinois (raogk.org)
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lena Area Historical Society, PO Box 620, Lena IL 61048
- Stephenson County Genealogical Society, PO Box 514, Freeport IL 61032
- Stephenson County Historical Society, 1440 South Carroll Avenue, Freeport, Illinois 61032; Phone: (815) 232-8419
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Stephenson County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Stephenson County
- Stephenson County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Stephenson County
- USGenWeb Archives for Stephenson County
Stephenson County Courthouse and Government Records
Stephenson County Courthouse
frequently fail to notice the significance of Stephenson County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Stephenson County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Stephenson County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
- Stephenson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 15 N. Galena Ave., Freeport, IL 61032
- Stephenson County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 815-235-8289
- Marriage Records: 1837
- Birth & Death Records: 1878
- Land Records: 1837
- Stephenson County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 815-235-8266
- Probate Records: 1837
- Court Records: 1837
- Stephenson County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
Stephenson County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Stephenson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Stephenson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Stephenson Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Stephenson Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Stephenson Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Stephenson Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Stephenson Co. IL Census Records
Stephenson Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Stephenson Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Stephenson Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Stephenson Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Stephenson County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Stephenson County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of Stephenson County, Illinois : a record of its settlement, organization, and three-quarters of a century of progress (search.ancestry.com)
- The History of Stephenson County, Illinois : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, &c., biographical sketches (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Stephenson County, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of pr (search.ancestry.com)
- In the foot-prints of the pioneers of Stephenson County, Illinois : a genealogical record. (search.ancestry.com)
- Stephenson County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Stephenson Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Stephenson County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Stephenson (cyndislist.com)
- Stephenson County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Stephenson Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Stephenson County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Stephenson Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Stephenson Co. IL Military Records
Stephenson Co. IL Schools & Directories