Peoria County, Illinois
Genealogy and Facts
Peoria County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Peoria Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Peoria County was founded on January 13, 1825 from unorganized land and Fulton County. This county was named for the Peoria Native American tribe .
The Peoria County Seat is located in Peoria also, the county government website is www.peoriacounty.org .
Areas bordering to Peoria County are Stark County (north), Marshall County (northeast), Woodford County (east), Tazewell County (south), Fulton County (southwest), Knox County (northwest)
Cities, Towns & Villages located in Peoria County include Bartonville, Bellevue, Brimfield, Chillicothe, Dunlap, Elmwood, Glasford, Hanna City, Kingston Mines, Mapleton, Norwood, Peoria, Peoria Heights, Princeville, Rome, West Peoria.
Townships located in Peoria County include Limestone, Kickapoo, Jubilee, Hollis, Hallock, Elmwood, Brimfield, Akron, Chillicothe, Radnor, Princeville, Peoria City, Medina, Logan, Millbrook, Richwoods, Rosefield, Timber, Trivoli, West Peoria.
Peoria County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Peoria Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Peoria Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Peoria Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Peoria County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Peoria County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Peoria Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 1489 , Peoria, Illinois 61655-1489
- Fondulac District Library, East Peoria
- Western Illinois University Region (WIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, University Library, Western Illinois University, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455; 309-298-2716
- Peoria County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Peoria County
- Peoria County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Peoria County
- USGenWeb Archives for Peoria County
Peoria County Courthouse and Government Records
Peoria County Courthouse
frequently fail to notice the significance of Peoria County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Peoria County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Peoria County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
- Peoria County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 324 Main St., Peoria, IL 61602
- Peoria County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Phone: (309) 672-6059
- Marriage Records: 1825
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Peoria County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: (309) 672-6090
- Land Records:1818
- Peoria County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: (309) 672-6000
- Probate Records: 1825
- Court Records: 1825
- Peoria County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Peoria County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Peoria County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Peoria County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Peoria Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Peoria Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Peoria Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Peoria Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Peoria Co. IL Census Records
Peoria Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Peoria Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Peoria Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Peoria Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Peoria County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Peoria County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- Peoria, city and county, Illinois : a record of settlement, organization, progress, and achievement (search.ancestry.com)
- Peoria County, Illinois Biographical Dictionary (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Peoria County, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of promin (search.ancestry.com)
- The History of Peoria County, Illinois : containing a history of the Northwest, history of Illinois, history of the county, its (search.ancestry.com)
- The history of Peoria, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Peoria County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Peoria Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Peoria County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Peoria (cyndislist.com)
- Peoria County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Peoria Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Peoria County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Peoria Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Peoria Co. IL Military Records
Peoria Co. IL Schools & Directories