Peoria County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Peoria County, Illinois Facts
When was Peoria County, IL Created?
Peoria County was established on January 13, 1825 from unorganized land and Fulton County. This county was named for the Peoria Native American tribe .
What is the County Seat of Peoria County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Peoria also, the county government website is www.peoriacounty.org .
What counties are adjacent to Peoria County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Stark County (north), Marshall County (northeast), Woodford County (east), Tazewell County (south), Fulton County (southwest), Knox County (northwest)
What cities and towns are in Peoria County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bartonville, Bellevue, Brimfield, Chillicothe, Dunlap, Elmwood, Glasford, Hanna City, Kingston Mines, Mapleton, Norwood, Peoria, Peoria Heights, Princeville, Rome, West Peoria.
What Townships are in Peoria County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Limestone, Kickapoo, Jubilee, Hollis, Hallock, Elmwood, Brimfield, Akron, Chillicothe, Radnor, Princeville, Peoria City, Medina, Logan, Millbrook, Richwoods, Rosefield, Timber, Trivoli, West Peoria.
Peoria County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Peoria County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Peoria County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Peoria County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Peoria County, IL Census Records
What Peoria County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Peoria County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Peoria Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Peoria Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Peoria Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Peoria County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Peoria County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Peoria County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Peoria County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Peoria County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 324 Main St., Peoria, IL 61602
- Peoria County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Phone: (309) 672-6059
- Marriage Records: 1825
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Peoria County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: (309) 672-6090
- Land Records:1818
- Peoria County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: (309) 672-6000
- Probate Records: 1825
- Court Records: 1825
- Peoria County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Peoria County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Peoria County, IL?
A list of Peoria County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Peoria Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 1489 , Peoria, Illinois 61655-1489
- Fondulac District Library, East Peoria
- Western Illinois University Region (WIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, University Library, Western Illinois University, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455; 309-298-2716
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Peoria County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Peoria County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Peoria County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Peoria Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Peoria Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Peoria Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Peoria Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Peoria Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Peoria County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Peoria County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- Peoria, city and county, Illinois : a record of settlement, organization, progress, and achievement (search.ancestry.com)
- Peoria County, Illinois Biographical Dictionary (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Peoria County, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of promin (search.ancestry.com)
- The History of Peoria County, Illinois : containing a history of the Northwest, history of Illinois, history of the county, its (search.ancestry.com)
- The history of Peoria, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Peoria County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Peoria Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Peoria County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Peoria (cyndislist.com)
- Peoria County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Peoria Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Peoria County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Peoria Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Peoria Co. IL Military Records
Peoria Co. IL Schools & Directories