Montgomery County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Montgomery County, Illinois Facts
When was Montgomery County, IL Created?
Montgomery County was established on February 21, 1821 from Bond County and Madison County. This county was named for Gen. Richard Montgomery (1738-1775), brigadier-general in the Continental Army who led the unsuccessful invasion of Canada.
What is the County Seat of Montgomery County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Hillsboro (prior county seats was Hamilton—Designated but never established from 1821–1823) also, the county government website is www.montgomeryco.com .
What counties are adjacent to Montgomery County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Sangamon County, Shelby County, Christian County, Fayette County, Bond County, Madison County, Macoupin County
What cities and towns are in Montgomery County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Butler, Coalton, Coffeen, Donnellson, Farmersville, Fillmore, Harvel, Hillsboro, Irving, Litchfield, Nokomis, Ohlman, Panama, Raymond, Schram City, Taylor Springs, Waggoner, Walshville, Wenonah, Witt.
What Townships are in Montgomery County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Hillsboro, Harvel, Irving, Fillmore, East Fork, Grisham, Bois D’Arc, Audubon, Butler Grove, Raymond, Pitman, North Litchfield, Nokomis, South Litchfield, South Fillmore, Rountree, Walshville, Witt, Zanesville.
Montgomery County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Montgomery County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Montgomery County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Montgomery County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Montgomery County Illinois Births 1862 - 1877
- Montgomery County Illinois Death Records 1877 - 1950
- Montgomery County Illinois Marriage Records 1821 - 1915
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Montgomery County, IL Census Records
What Montgomery County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Montgomery County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Montgomery Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montgomery Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montgomery Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Montgomery County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Montgomery County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Montgomery County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Montgomery County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Montgomery County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: #1 Courthouse Square, Hillsboro, IL 62049
- Montgomery County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-532-9530
- Marriage Records: 1821
- Birth & Death Records: 1862 / 1877
- Land Records: 1819
- Montgomery County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-532-9546
- Probate Records: 1821
- Court Records: 1821
- Montgomery County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Montgomery County Illinois Land Records
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Montgomery County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Montgomery County, IL?
A list of Montgomery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Montgomery County Historical Society, 305 S. Broad St, Hillsboro, IL 62049
- Montgomery County Genealogical Society, 305 South Broad Street, Hillsboro, IL 62049
- University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, LIB 144, University of Illinois at Springfield, One University Plaza, MS BRK 140, Springfield, IL 62703-5407; 217-206-6520
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Montgomery County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Montgomery County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Montgomery County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Montgomery Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Montgomery Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Montgomery Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Montgomery Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Montgomery Co. IL General and History Websites
Montgomery Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Montgomery County Illinois Veterans (history.montgomeryco.com) A database of Veteran's names from Montgomery County Illinois. Including World War One, World War Two and the Vietnam War.
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Montgomery County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.