Menard County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Menard County, Illinois Facts
When was Menard County, IL Created?
Menard County was established on February 15, 1839 from Sangamon County. This county was named for Pierre Menard (1766-1844), prominent early settler and first Lieutenant Governor of Illinois.
What is the County Seat of Menard County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Petersburg also, the county government website is menardcountyil.com .
What counties are adjacent to Menard County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Mason County, Logan County, Sangamon County, Cass County
What cities and towns are in Menard County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Athens, Greenview, Oakford, Petersburg, Tallula
What Townships and Precincts are in Menard County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Athens North No. 2, Athens South No. 1, Atterberry No. 10, Fancy Prairie No. 3, Greenview No. 6, Indian Creek No. 7, Irish Grove No. 4, Oakford No. 9, Petersburg East No. 13, Petersburg North No. 14, Petersburg South No. 15, Petersburg West No. 16, Rock Creek No. 12, Sandridge No. 8, Sugar Grove No. 5, Tallula No. 11.
Menard County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Menard County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Menard County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Menard County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Menard County, IL Census Records
What Menard County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Menard County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Menard Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Menard Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Menard Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Menard County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Menard County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Menard County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Menard County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Menard County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 102 South 7th St., Petersburg, IL 62675
- Menard County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-632-3201 or 632-2415
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1821
- Menard County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-632-2615
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: 1839
- Menard County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Menard County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Menard County, IL?
A list of Menard County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, LIB 144, University of Illinois at Springfield, One University Plaza, MS BRK 140, Springfield, IL 62703-5407; 217-206-6520
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Menard County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Menard County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Menard County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Menard Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Menard Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Menard Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Menard Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Menard Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Menard County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Menard County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- The History of Menard and Mason Counties, Illinois : containing a history of the counties--their cities, towns, &c., portraits (search.ancestry.com)
- Past and present of Menard County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- 1874 "Illustrated Atlas of Menard County" (genealogytrails.com) Maps, Biographies, Histories, Photos and more
- 1879 "History of Menard & Mason Counties" (rootsweb.ancestry.com) Currently the Menard Co history portion of this book is hosted at the MAGA site, you will need to use your "Back" button to return here --The Every Name Index is also available and covers the entire book
- 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford" (genealogytrails.com) A collection of photos and brief stories about people and places in Oakford
- 1902 "Pioneers of Menard & Mason Counties" (genealogytrails.com) Much of this book deals with Abe Lincoln's early days in the area, but it also includes stories of other early families, churches, etc. --An Every-Name Index is also available
- 1902 "Old Settlers Reunion" (genealogytrails.com) A brief article that lists the names of the "old settlers" who have died since the last reunion
- "History of Petersburg" (genealogytrails.com) A previously unpublished account, narrated by J. Colby Beekman, tells many interesting details about the birth of Petersburg and it's residents
- Menard County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Menard Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Menard County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Menard (cyndislist.com)
- Menard County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Menard Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Menard County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Menard Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Menard Co. IL Military Records