Menard County, Illinois
Genealogy and Facts
Menard County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Menard Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Menard County was founded on February 15, 1839 from Sangamon County. This county was named for Pierre Menard (1766-1844), prominent early settler and first Lieutenant Governor of Illinois.
The Menard County Seat is located in Petersburg also, the county government website is menardcountyil.com .
Areas bordering to Menard County are Mason County (north), Logan County (east), Sangamon County (south), Cass County (west)
Cities, Towns & Villages located in Menard County include Athens, Greenview, Oakford, Petersburg, Tallula
Precincts located in Menard County include Athens North No. 2, Athens South No. 1, Atterberry No. 10, Fancy Prairie No. 3, Greenview No. 6, Indian Creek No. 7, Irish Grove No. 4, Oakford No. 9, Petersburg East No. 13, Petersburg North No. 14, Petersburg South No. 15, Petersburg West No. 16, Rock Creek No. 12, Sandridge No. 8, Sugar Grove No. 5, Tallula No. 11.
Menard County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Menard Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Menard Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Menard Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Menard County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Menard County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Menard County Courthouse and Government Records
Menard County Courthouse
frequently fail to notice the significance of Menard County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Menard County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Menard County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
- Menard County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 102 South 7th St., Petersburg, IL 62675
- Menard County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-632-3201 or 632-2415
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1821
- Menard County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-632-2615
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: 1839
- Menard County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Menard County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Menard County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Menard County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Menard Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Menard Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Menard Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Menard Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Menard Co. IL Census Records
Menard Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Menard Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Menard Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Menard Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Menard County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Menard County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- The History of Menard and Mason Counties, Illinois : containing a history of the counties--their cities, towns, &c., portraits (search.ancestry.com)
- Past and present of Menard County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- 1874 "Illustrated Atlas of Menard County" (genealogytrails.com) Maps, Biographies, Histories, Photos and more
- 1879 "History of Menard & Mason Counties" (rootsweb.ancestry.com) Currently the Menard Co history portion of this book is hosted at the MAGA site, you will need to use your "Back" button to return here --The Every Name Index is also available and covers the entire book
- 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford" (genealogytrails.com) A collection of photos and brief stories about people and places in Oakford
- 1902 "Pioneers of Menard & Mason Counties" (genealogytrails.com) Much of this book deals with Abe Lincoln's early days in the area, but it also includes stories of other early families, churches, etc. --An Every-Name Index is also available
- 1902 "Old Settlers Reunion" (genealogytrails.com) A brief article that lists the names of the "old settlers" who have died since the last reunion
- "History of Petersburg" (genealogytrails.com) A previously unpublished account, narrated by J. Colby Beekman, tells many interesting details about the birth of Petersburg and it's residents
- Menard County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Menard Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Menard County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Menard (cyndislist.com)
- Menard County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Menard Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Menard County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Menard Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Menard Co. IL Military Records