McLean County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
McLean County, Illinois Facts
When was McLean County, IL Created?
McLean County was established on December 25, 1830 from Tazewell County and unorganized land. This county was named for John McLean (1791-1830), United States Representative and United States Senator from Illinois (the latter from 1824-1825 and 1829-1830) .
What is the County Seat of McLean County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Bloomington, was named Blooming Grove until 1831 also, the county government website is www.mcleancountyil.gov .
What counties are adjacent to McLean County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Woodford County (northwest), Livingston County (northeast), Ford County (east), Champaign County (southeast), Piatt County (south), DeWitt County (south), Logan County (southwest), Tazewell County (west)
What cities and towns are in McLean County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Anchor, Arrowsmith, Bellflower, Bloomington, Carlock, Chenoa, Colfax, Cooksville, Danvers, Downs, Ellsworth, Gridley, Heyworth, Hudson, Le Roy, Lexington, Merna, McLean, Normal, Saybrook, Shirley, Stanford, Towanda.
What Townships are in McLean County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Lexington, Lawndale, Hudson, Empire, Funk’s Grove, Gridley, Blue Mound, Bloomington, Bloomington City, Arrowsmith, Allin, Anchor, Bellflower, Cheney’s Grove, Chenoa, Dawson, Danvers, Dale, Cropsey, Downs, Dry Grove, Randolph, Old Town, Normal, Martin, Mount Hope, Money Creek, Towanda, White Oak, West, Yates.
McLean County, IL Vital Records
Where can find McLean County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
McLean County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for McLean County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
McLean County, IL Census Records
What McLean County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for McLean County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
McLean Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McLean Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McLean Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
McLean County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
McLean County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the McLean County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in McLean County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Some records lost or damaged in a fire on June 19, 1900
- McLean County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address:115 E. Washington St., Bloomington, IL 61701
- McLean County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Phone: 309-888-5190
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- McLean County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: (309) 888-5170
- Land Records:1831
- McLean County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Address: McLean County Law and Justice Center, 104 W. Front St., Bloomington, IL 61701
- Phone: 309-888-5301
- Probate Records: 1831
- Court Records: 1831
- McLean County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
McLean County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for McLean County, IL?
A list of McLean County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Lexington Genealogical & Historical Society, Inc., 318 West Main Street, Lexington, Illinois 61753; Phone: 309-365-4591
- McLean County Genealogical Society, Courthouse Square, Bloomington, Illinois
- McLean County Historical Society, 200 North Main Street, Bloomington, IL 61701
- Illinois State University, Campus Box 5500, Normal, IL 61790-5500; (309) 452-6027
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other McLean County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in McLean County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to McLean County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
McLean Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
McLean Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
McLean Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
McLean Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
McLean Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
McLean Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- McLean County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- McLean County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- Index of McLean County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- An index to The good old times in McLean County, Illinois : containing two hundred and sixty-one sketches of old settlers, a co (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McLean County (search.ancestry.com)
- History of McLean County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- The History of McLean County, Illinois : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, &c., portraits of early settler (search.ancestry.com)
- The good old times in McLean County, Illinois : containing two hundred and sixty-one sketches of old settlers, a complete histo (search.ancestry.com)
- Chenoa community centennial : a century of co-operation, 1854-1954. (search.ancestry.com)
- McLean County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- McLean Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- McLean County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - McLean (cyndislist.com)
- McLean County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- McLean Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- McLean County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- McLean Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
McLean Co. IL Military Records