McDonough County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
McDonough County, Illinois Facts
When was McDonough County, IL Created?
McDonough County was established on January 25, 1826 from Schuyler County . This county was named for Commodore Thomas Macdonough (1783-1825), commander of American naval forces at the Battle of Plattsburgh .
What is the County Seat of McDonough County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Macomb also, the county government website is www.macomb.com/government.html .
What counties are adjacent to McDonough County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Warren County (north), Fulton County (east), Schuyler County (south), Hancock County (west), Henderson County (northwest)
What cities and towns are in McDonough County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bardolph, Blandinsville, Bushnell, Colchester, Good Hope, Industry, Macomb, Prairie City, Sciota, Tennessee.
What Townships are in McDonough County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Lamoine, Hire, Industry, Emmet, Eldorado, Bethel, Blandinsville, Colchester, Bushnell, Chalmers, Prairie City, Macomb, Macomb City, Mound, New Salem, Scotland, Sciota, Tennessee, Walnut Grove.
McDonough County, IL Vital Records
Where can find McDonough County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
McDonough County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for McDonough County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
McDonough County, IL Census Records
What McDonough County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for McDonough County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
McDonough Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McDonough Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McDonough Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
McDonough County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
McDonough County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the McDonough County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in McDonough County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- McDonough County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Courthouse Square, Macomb, IL 61455
- McDonough County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 309-833-2474
- Marriage Records: 1830
- Birth & Death Records: 1870
- Land Records: 1817
- McDonough County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 309-837-4889
- Probate Records: 1833
- Court Records: 1830
- McDonough County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
McDonough County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for McDonough County, IL?
A list of McDonough County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- McDonough County Genealogical Society, 201 S. Lafayette St., Macomb, IL
- Western Illinois University Region (WIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, University Library, Western Illinois University, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455; 309-298-2716
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other McDonough County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in McDonough County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to McDonough County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
McDonough Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
McDonough Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
McDonough Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
McDonough Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
McDonough Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- McDonough County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- McDonough County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of McDonough County, Illinois : together with sketches of the towns, villages and townships, educational, civil, milita (search.ancestry.com)
- History of McDonough County, Illinois : its cities, towns and villages, with early reminiscences, personal incidents and anecdo (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Bardolph, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Bushnell, Illinois centennial, 1854-1954 (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County (search.ancestry.com)
- McDonough County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- McDonough Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- McDonough County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - McDonough (cyndislist.com)
- McDonough County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- McDonough Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- McDonough County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- McDonough Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
McDonough Co. IL Military Records