Madison County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Madison County, Illinois Facts
When was Madison County, IL Created?
Madison County was established on September 14, 1812 from St.
Clair County. This county was named for James Madison (1751-1836), fourth President of the United States and principal author of the Constitution of the United States. .
What is the County Seat of Madison County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Edwardsville also, the county government website is www.co.madison.il.us .
What counties are adjacent to Madison County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Bond County (east), Clinton County (southeast), Jersey County (northwest), St. Clair County (south), Montgomery County (northeast), Macoupin County (north)
What cities and towns are in Madison County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Alton, Collinsville, Edwardsville, Granite City, Highland, Madison, Troy, Venice, Wood River, Alhambra, Bethalto, East Alton, Glen Carbon, Godfrey, Grantfork, Hamel, Hartford, Livingston, Marine, Maryville, New Douglas, Pontoon Beach, Roxana, South Roxana, St. Jacob, Williamson, Worden.
What Townships are in Madison County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Leef, Helvetia, Hamel, Jarvis, Edwardsville, Foster, Fort Russell, Granite City, Godfrey, Alhambra, Alton, Collinsville, Chouteau, Pin Oak, Omphghent, Olive, Marine, Moro, Nameoki, New Douglas, St. Jacob, Saline, Venice, Wood River.
Madison County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Madison County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Madison County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Madison County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Madison County, IL Census Records
What Madison County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Madison County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Madison Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Madison County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Madison County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Madison County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Madison County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Madison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 155 N. Main St., Edwardsville, IL 62025
- Madison County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Marriage Records: 1813
- Birth & Death Records: 1858 / 1877
- Madison County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 618-692-8919
- Land Records:1802
- Madison County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: (618) 296-4470
- Probate Records: 1813
- Court Records: 1803
- Madison County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Madison County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Madison County, IL?
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Madison County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 631, Edwardsville, IL 62025-0631
- The Hayner Public Library District, 401 State Street, Alton, IL, Phone: 618-462-0677
- Southern Illinois University (SIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Special Collections, Morris Library – 6632, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901-6632; 618-453-3040
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Madison County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Madison County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Madison County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Madison Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Madison Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Illinois Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Illinois historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 - 1922) (genealogybank.com)
- Edwardsville Intelligencer (Edwardsville, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Daily Alton Telegraph, The (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Alton Telegraph And Democratic Review (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Alton Telegraph (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Alton Weekly Courier (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Alton Daily Telegraph (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Alton Weekly Telegraph (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Madison County Courier (Edwardsville, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Alton Observer (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Madison County, Illinois Books (amazon.com)
- Search Illinois Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Madison Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Madison Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Madison Co. IL General and History Websites
Madison Co. IL Military Records
Madison Co. IL Schools & Directories