Logan County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Logan County, Illinois Facts
When was Logan County, IL Created?
Logan County was established on February 15, 1839 from McLean County, Sangamon County and Tazewell County. This county was named for John Logan, a country doctor and early settler, and the father of John A. Logan..
What is the County Seat of Logan County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Lincoln (prior county seats was Postville [Name changed to Camden prior to 1847] from 1839–1847, Mt. Pulaski from 1847–1853) also, the county government website is www.co.logan.il.us .
What counties are adjacent to Logan County, IL?
Bordering Counties are McLean County, DeWitt County, Macon County, Sangamon County, Menard County, Mason County, Tazewell County
What cities and towns are in Logan County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Atlanta, Beason, Broadwell, Burtonview, Chestervale, Chestnut, Cornland, Elkhart, Emden, Hartsburg, Lake Fork, Lawndale, Latham, Lincoln, Middletown, Mount Pulaski, New Holland, San Jose.
What Townships are in Logan County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Lake Fork, Laenna, Hurlbut, Eminence, East Lincoln, Elkhart, Broadwell, Aetna, Atlanta, Chester, Corwin, Prairie Creek, Orvil, Oran, Mount Pulaski, Sheridan, West Lincoln.
Logan County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Logan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Logan County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Logan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Logan County, IL Census Records
What Logan County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Logan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Logan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Logan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Logan Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Logan County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Logan County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Logan County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Logan County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Total record loss (1839–1857) due to a Fire on April 15, 1857
- Logan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 601 Broadway St., Lincoln, IL 62656
- Logan County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-732-4148
- Marriage Records: 1857
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1829
- Logan County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-735-2376
- Probate Records: 1855
- Court Records: 1857
- Logan County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Logan County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Logan County, IL?
A list of Logan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Logan County Genealogical & Historical Society, 114 N. Chicago Street, Lincoln, IL 62656; Phone:(217) 732-3200
- Mt. Pulaski Township Historical Society, 102-104 East Cooke St, Mt. Pulaski, IL; 217 792-3719
- Illinois State University, Campus Box 5500, Normal, IL 61790-5500; (309) 452-6027
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Logan County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Logan County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Logan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Logan Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Logan Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Logan Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Logan Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Logan Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Logan County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Logan County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of Logan County, Illinois : a record of its settlement, organization, progress and achievement (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Logan County, Illinois : together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, mi (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Logan County, Illinois : its past and present : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, etc., a biogr (search.ancestry.com)
- Logan County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Logan Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Logan County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Logan (cyndislist.com)
- Logan County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Logan Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Logan County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Logan Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Logan Co. IL Military Records