LaSalle County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
LaSalle County, Illinois Facts
When was LaSalle County, IL Created?
LaSalle County was established on January 15, 1831 from unorganized land and Putnam County. This county was named for Sieur de la Salle (1643-1687), French explorer of the Great Lakes. .
What is the County Seat of LaSalle County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Ottawa also, the county government website is unkown .
What counties are adjacent to LaSalle County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Lee County (northwest), DeKalb County (northeast), Kendall County (east), Grundy County (east), Livingston County (southeast), Woodford County (south), Marshall County (southwest), Putnam County (west), Bureau County (west)
What cities and towns are in LaSalle County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Cedar Point, Dalzell, Dana, Earlville, Grand Ridge, Kangley, LaSalle, Leland, Leonore, Lostant, Marseilles, Millington, Mendota, Naplate, North Utica, Norway, Oglesby, Ottawa, Peru, Ransom, Rutland, Sandwich, Seneca, Serena, Sheridan, Somonauk, Streator, Tonica, Triumph, Troy Grove, Wenona.
What Townships are in LaSalle County, IL?
Townships located in the County include LaSalle, Hope, Farm Ridge, Fall River, Eden, Earl, Eagle, Freedom, Grand Rapids, Groveland, Bruce, Brookfield, Adams, Allen, Dayton, Dimmick, Deer Park, Peru, Northville, Ottawa, Osage, Ophir, Otter Creek, Meriden, Mendota, Manlius, Miller, Mission, South Ottawa, Serena, Richland, Rutland, Wallace, Vermilion, Troy Grove, Utica, Waltham.
LaSalle County, IL Vital Records
Where can find LaSalle County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
LaSalle County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for LaSalle County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
LaSalle County, IL Census Records
What LaSalle County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for LaSalle County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
LaSalle Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. LaSalle Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. LaSalle Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
LaSalle County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
LaSalle County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the LaSalle County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in LaSalle County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- LaSalle County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 707 Etna Rd., Ottawa, IL 61350
- LaSalle County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: County Clerk 815-434-8202 ; Recorder 815-434-8226
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1831
- LaSalle County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Address: Madison & Columbus St., Ottawa, Illinois 61350
- Phone: 815-434-8271
- Probate Records: 1831
- Court Records: 1831
- LaSalle County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
LaSalle County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for LaSalle County, IL?
A list of LaSalle County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Earlville Community Historical Society, 205 winthrop street, p.o.box 420, earlville, illinois 60518
- LaSalle County Genealogy Guild, 115 W Glover St, Ottawa, IL 61350
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other LaSalle County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in LaSalle County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to LaSalle County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
LaSalle Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
LaSalle Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
LaSalle Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
LaSalle Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
LaSalle Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- LaSalle County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- LaSalle County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of La Salle County, Illinois : together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, (search.ancestry.com)
- History of La Salle County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical and genealogical record of La Salle County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- La Salle County centennial (search.ancestry.com)
- LaSalle County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- LaSalle Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- LaSalle County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - LaSalle (cyndislist.com)
- LaSalle County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- LaSalle Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- LaSalle County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- LaSalle Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
LaSalle Co. IL Military Records