Kendall County, Illinois
Genealogy and Facts
Kendall County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Kendall Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Kendall County was founded on February 19, 1841 from La Salle County and Kane County. This county was named for Amos Kendall, Andrew Jackson\'s Postmaster General.
The Kendall County Seat is located in Yorkville (prior county seats was Yorkville from 1841–1845, Oswego from 1845–1864) also, the county government website is www.co.kendall.il.us/ .
Areas bordering to Kendall County are Kane County (north), DuPage County (northeast), Will County (east), Grundy County (south), LaSalle County (west), DeKalb County (northwest)
Cities, Towns & Villages located in Kendall County include Aurora, Boulder Hill, Bristol , Helmar, Joliet, Lisbon, Millbrook, Millington, Minooka, Montgomery, Newark, Oswego, Plainfield , Plano, Plattville, Sandwich, Yorkville, Little Rock.
Townships located in Kendall County include Lisbon, Little Rock, Kendall, Fox, Bristol, Big Grove, Oswego, Na-Au-Say, Seward.
Kendall County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Kendall Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kendall Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kendall Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Kendall County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Kendall County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Fox Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5435, Naperville, IL, 60567-5435
- Kendall County Genealogical Society, PO Box 123, Yorkville, IL 60560-0123
- Kendall County Historical Society, 107 West Center Street, Yorkville, IL 60560
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Little White School Museum, 72 Polk Street, PO Box 23, Oswego, IL 60543; (630) 554-2999
- Kendall County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Kendall County
- Kendall County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Kendall County
- USGenWeb Archives for Kendall County
Kendall County Courthouse and Government Records
Kendall County Courthouse
frequently fail to notice the significance of Kendall County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Kendall County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Kendall County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
- Kendall County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 111 W. Fox St., Yorkville, IL 60560
- Kendall County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Phone: 630-553-4104
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Kendall County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 630-553-4112
- Land Records:1839
- Kendall County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Address: 807 W. John St., Yorkville, IL 60560
- Phone: 630-553-4183
- Probate Records: 1847
- Court Records: 1841
- Kendall County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Kendall County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Kendall County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Kendall County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Kendall Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Kendall Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Kendall Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Kendall Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Kendall Co. IL Census Records
Kendall Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Kendall Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Kendall Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Kendall Co. IL General and History Websites
Kendall Co. IL Military Records
Kendall Co. IL Schools & Directories