Kane County, Illinois
Genealogy and Facts
Kane County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Kane Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Kane County was founded on January 16, 1836 from unorganized land and Cook County. This county was named for Elias Kane (1794-1835), United States Senator from Illinois .
The Kane County Seat is located in Geneva also, the county government website is www.countyofkane.org .
Areas bordering to Kane County are McHenry County (north), Cook County (east), DuPage County (east), Will County (southeast), Kendall County (south), DeKalb County (west)
Cities, Towns & Villages located in Kane County include Algonquin , Aurora, Barrington Hills, Bartlett, Batavia, Big Rock, Burlington, Campton Hills, Carpentersville, East Dundee, Elburn, Elgin, Geneva, Gilberts, Hampshire, Hoffman Estates, Huntley, Kaneville, Lily Lake, Maple Park, Montgomery, North Aurora, Pingree Grove, St. Charles, Sleepy Hollow, South Elgin, Sugar Grove, Virgil, Wayne, West Dundee.
Townships located in Kane County include Kaneville, Hampshire, Elgin, Geneva, Burlington, Blackberry, Big Rock, Aurora, Batavia, Campton, Dundee, Plato, St. Charles, Rutland, Virgil, Sugar Grove.
Kane County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Kane Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kane Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kane Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Kane County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Kane County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Elgin Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1418, Elgin, IL 60121-1418
- Fox Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5435, Naperville, IL, 60567-5435
- Kane County Genealogical Society, 113 S. Third Street, Geneva, IL
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Kane County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Kane County
- Kane County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Kane County
- USGenWeb Archives for Kane County
Kane County Courthouse and Government Records
Kane County Courthouse
frequently fail to notice the significance of Kane County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Kane County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Kane county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Some records lost or damaged in a fire in 1843. Volumes saved; 5,000 court files burned in a Fire on March 13, 1890
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
- Kane County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Kane County Government Center, 719 S. Batavia Ave., Geneva, IL 60134
- Kane County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Phone: 630-232-5950
- Marriage Records: 1836
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Kane County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 630-232-5935
- Land Records:1836
- Kane County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Address: Kane County Judicial Center, 37W777 Route 38, St. Charles, IL 60175
- Phone: 630-232-3413
- Probate Records: 1836
- Court Records: 1836
- Kane County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Kane County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Kane County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Kane County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Kane Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Kane Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Kane Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Kane Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Kane Co. IL Census Records
Kane Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Kane Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Kane Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Kane Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Kane County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Kane County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of Kane County, Ill. (search.ancestry.com)
- Commemorative biographical and historical record of Kane County, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical ske (search.ancestry.com)
- Commemorative portrait and biographical record of Kane and Kendall Counties, Ill. : containing full page portraits and biograph (search.ancestry.com)
- The Past and present of Kane County, Illinois : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, &c., a directory of its (search.ancestry.com)
- Kane County, Illinois History (search.ancestry.com)
- Kane County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Kane Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Kane County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Kane (cyndislist.com)
- Kane County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Kane Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Kane County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Kane Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Kane Co. IL Military Records