Jersey County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jersey County, Illinois Facts
When was Jersey County, IL Created?
Jersey County was established on February 28, 1839 from Greene County. This county was named for the State of New Jersey, from which many early settlers hailed .
What is the County Seat of Jersey County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Jerseyville also, the county government website is www.jcba.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Jersey County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Greene County (north), Macoupin County (east), Madison County (southeast), St. Charles County, Missouri (south), Calhoun County (west)
What cities and towns are in Jersey County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Grafton, Jerseyville, Brighton, Elsah, Fidelity, Fieldon, Otterville.
What Townships are in Jersey County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Jersey, Fidelity, English, Elsah, Quarry, Piasa, Otter Creek, Mississippi, Richwoods, Rosedale, Ruyle.
Jersey County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Jersey County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jersey County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jersey County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Jersey County, IL Census Records
What Jersey County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jersey County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jersey Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jersey Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jersey Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Jersey County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Jersey County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Jersey County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Jersey County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Jersey County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 201 W. Pearl St., Jerseyville, IL 62052
- Jersey County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Address: Jersey County Administration Building, 200 N. LaFayette, Jerseyville, IL 62052
- Phone: 618-498-5571
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1822
- Jersey County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 618-498-5571, ext. 119
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: 1839
- Jersey County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Jersey County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jersey County, IL?
A list of Jersey County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jersey County Genealogical Society, 601 North State Street, Jerseyville, IL 62052
- University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, LIB 144, University of Illinois at Springfield, One University Plaza, MS BRK 140, Springfield, IL 62703-5407; 217-206-6520
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Jersey County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Jersey County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jersey County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Jersey Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jersey Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jersey Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Jersey Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jersey Co. IL General and History Websites
Jersey Co. IL Military Records