DuPage County, Illinois
DuPage County was founded on February 9, 1839 from Cook County. This county was named for the DuPage River .
The DuPage County Seat is located in Wheaton (prior county seats was Naperville from 1839–1867) also, the county government website is www.co.dupage.il.us .
Areas bordering to DuPage County are Cook County (north, east, and south), Will County (south), Kendall County (southwest), Kane County (west)
Cities, Towns & Villages located in DuPage County include Aurora, Batavia, Chicago, Darien, Elmhurst, Naperville, Oakbrook Terrace, St. Charles, Warrenville, West Chicago, Wheaton, Wood Dale, Addison, Bartlett, Bensenville, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, Carol Stream, Clarendon Hills, Downers Grove, Elk Grove Village, Glendale Heights, Glen Ellyn, Hanover Park, Hinsdale, Itasca, Lemont, Lisle, Lombard, Oak Brook, Roselle, Schaumburg, Villa Park, Wayne, Westmont, Willowbrook, Winfield, Woodridge.
Townships located in DuPage County include Lisle, Bloomingdale, Addison, Downers Grove, Milton, Naperville, Wayne, Winfield, York.
DuPage County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for DuPage County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
DuPage County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
DuPage Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DuPage Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DuPage Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
DuPage County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of DuPage County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Illinois (raogk.org)
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Carol Stream Historical Society, Phone: (630) 665-0686
- DuPage County (IL) Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3 , Wheaton, IL 60189-0003
- DuPage County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1460, Wheaton, IL 60189
- Fox Valley Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 5435, Naperville, IL ; 60567-5435
- Glen Ellyn Historical Society, P.O. Box 283, Glen Ellyn, IL 60138; Phone: (630) 858-8696
- Hinsdale Historical Society, P.O. Box 336, Hinsdale, IL 60522, 630-789-2600
- Lombard Historical Society, 23 W. Maple Street, Lombard, IL
- Villa Park Historical Society Museum, 220 S. Villa Avenue, Villa Park, IL; Phone: (630) 941-0223
- West Chicago Historical Society, 527 Main Street West, Chicago, IL 60185
- Western Springs Historical Society, Western Springs
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- DuPage County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in DuPage County
- DuPage County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for DuPage County
- USGenWeb Archives for DuPage County
DuPage County Courthouse and Government Records
DuPage County Courthouse
frequently fail to notice the significance of DuPage County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the DuPage County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in DuPage County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
- DuPage County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 421 N. County Farm Rd., Wheaton, IL 60189
- DuPage County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Phone: 630-407-5500
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- DuPage County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 630-407-5400
- Land Records:1835
- DuPage County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Address: 505 N. County Farm Rd., Wheaton, IL 60189
- Phone: 630-407-8700
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: 1839
- DuPage County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
DuPage County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to DuPage County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred DuPage County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
DuPage Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
DuPage Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Illinois Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 - 1922) (genealogybank.com)
- World (Chicago, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Southeast Economist (Chicago, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Journal (Chicago, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Southend Reporter (Chicago, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- News Journal World (Chicago, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Chicago Heights Star (Chicago, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Southtown Economist (Chicago, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Northwest Journal (Chicago, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Economist (Chicago, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- News (Chicago, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- DuPage County Register (Bensenville, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Chicago Daily News (Chicago, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- DuPage County, Illinois Books (amazon.com)
- Elmhurst Press (Elmhurst, Illinois) Obituaries, 1988-98 (search.ancestry.com)
- Lombard, Illinois Newspaper Obituaries, 1929-53 (search.ancestry.com)
- Search Illinois Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Illinois Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
DuPage Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
DuPage Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
DuPage Co. IL Census Records
DuPage Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
DuPage Co. IL Church & Bible Records
DuPage Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
DuPage Co. IL General and History Websites
DuPage Co. IL Military Records