DeKalb County, Illinois
Genealogy and Facts
DeKalb County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your DeKalb Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
DeKalb County was founded on March 4, 1837 from Kane County. This county was named for Johann de Kalb (1721–1780), German soldier in the Continental Army who fought alongside Gilbert du Motier, marquis de Lafayette.
The DeKalb County Seat is located in Sycamore (prior county seats was Orange from 1837-1839, Coltonville from 1839-1840) also, the county government website is www.dekalbcounty.org .
Areas bordering to DeKalb County are Boone County (north), McHenry County (northeast), Kane County (east), Kendall County (southeast), LaSalle County (south), Lee County (west), Ogle County (west), Winnebago County (northwest)
Cities, Towns & Villages located in DeKalb County include Cortland, DeKalb, Genoa, Hinckley, Kingston, Kirkland, Lee, Malta, Maple Park, Sandwich, Shabbona, Somonauk, Sycamore, Waterman.
Townships located in DeKalb County include Kingston, Genoa, Franklin, Afton, Clinton, Cortland, DeKalb, Pierce, Paw Paw, Mayfield, Malta, Milan, Squaw Grove, South Grove, Shabbona, Somonauk, Sandwich, Victor, Sycamore.
DeKalb County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
DeKalb Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DeKalb Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DeKalb Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
DeKalb County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of DeKalb County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- DeKalb County Historical & Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 295, Sycamore, IL 60178
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Ellwood House & Museum, 509 N. First Street, DeKalb, IL 60115
- Joseph F. Glidden Homestead & Historical Center, 921 W. Lincoln Hwy., DeKalb, IL 60115 Phone 815-756-7904
- Gurler Heritage Association, 205 Pine Street, DeKalb, IL 60115
- Kirkland Historical Society, Located in the Kirkland Public Library, 513 W. Main Street, Kirkland, IL 60146 815-522-6260
- Kishwaukee Valley Heritage Society, 622 W. Park Ave., Genoa, IL 60135 815-784-5559
- Malta Historical and Genealogy Society, 127 North Third Street, P. O. Box 171, Malta, IL 60150
- Midwest Museum of Natural History, 425 West State Street, Sycamore, IL 60178; 815-895-9777 Toll Free: 866-895-MMNH
- North Grove School Association, 26745 Brickville Road, Sycamore, IL 60178
- Marie Louise Olmstead Museum, South Depot Street, Somonauk, IL 60552 815-498-2417
- Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Room 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois 60115; 815-753-1779
- Sandwich Historical Society & Stone Mill Museum, Sandwich Park District Building Latham and Arnold Street Sandwich, Illinois 60548; Direct Queries to: Joan Hardikopf, 815-786-2513 or Pat Clapper, 815-786-8141; Meetings 7:00 pm on the 4th Thursday each month
- Sycamore Historical Society & Museum, 308 West State Street, PO Box 502 Sycamore, IL. 60178 815-895-5762
- Waterman Area Heritage Society, 180 West Lincoln Street , Waterman, IL. 60556 815-264-3461
- DeKalb County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in DeKalb County
- DeKalb County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for DeKalb County
- USGenWeb Archives for DeKalb County
DeKalb County Courthouse and Government Records
DeKalb County Courthouse
frequently fail to notice the significance of DeKalb County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the DeKalb County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in DeKalb County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
- DeKalb County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 133 West State Street, Sycamore, IL 60178
- DeKalb County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Address:County Administration Building, 110 E. Sycamore St., Sycamore, IL 60178
- Phone: (815) 895-7149
- Marriage Records: 1837
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1838
- DeKalb County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: (815) 895-7138
- Probate Records: 1837
- Court Records: 1838
- DeKalb County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
DeKalb County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to DeKalb County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred DeKalb County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
DeKalb Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
DeKalb Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
DeKalb Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
DeKalb Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
DeKalb Co. IL Census Records
DeKalb Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
DeKalb Co. IL Church & Bible Records
DeKalb Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
DeKalb Co. IL General and History Websites
DeKalb Co. IL Military Records